Question

Q: How do I get Windows Update to Keep the Windows 10 Upgrade hidden on Windows 8.1?

This just started tonight.  I got a notice that there were important updates available.  I went into Update and found 1 important (Defender update) and 2 optionals.   I told the program to update and it tried.  It gave an error and I just started over by saying to look for updates.

From that point, I keep getting this big message to upgrade to 10 and an update option of over 2.5 GB.  I bypassed that and when I saw the update in the optional list, I said to hide it.

It won't stay hidden!  Now, every time I open Windows update on Windows 8.1 it starts with the incredibly obnoxious and obvious plea to update to 10.

I do not want to update to 10.  From what I've heard, there are still a lot of problems starting from the fact that the start menu "back" to Windows 7 is NOT back to Windows 7 and continuing with the limit of 512 shortcuts still there.

I want my 8.1 laptop and my 7 desktop to stay where they are. I know what I have and I have it working to my satisfaction.  Now how do I keep this "update" hidden?

Answer

A:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Try doing it this way.

Hit Windows key + X and click "Command Prompt (Admin)". This is an elevated command prompt with administrative rights.

Copy and then right click and paste the following command and hit Enter.

wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978

You should get a dialog box to confirm removal in which case just click Yes.

If it doesn't work, use the same command prompt to copy/paste the following commands.

dism /online /get-packages | findstr 2976978 >patch.txt

This will produce the package identity for KB2976978 and save it to a text file with the name patch.txt in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

I just ran the same command on my own system to test it using a Windows update called KB3092627 which I installed a couple of weeks ago. That produced the following string:

Package Identity : Package_for_KB3092627~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.0

The package identity for KB2976968 will differ of course, but I'm just using the above example to illustrate what it's going to look like.

To open the patch.txt file which has just been saved hit Windows key + R and then copy/paste: c:\windows\system32\patch.txt and click OK.

Next, copy the following text to the patch.txt file which just opened:

DISM.exe /Online /Remove-Package /Package_for_KB3092627~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.0 /quiet /norestart

In the same patch.txt file replace the following string with the one at the top of your own patch.txt file: Package_for_KB3092627~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.0

From there, copy and then right click and paste the newly formed command into the command prompt and hit Enter.

To test it, copy/paste: dism /online /get-packages | findstr 2976978 and hit Enter. It should just return to a command prompt without producing the package identity string which means it's not installed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 285 Last updated: February 21, 2018 Applies to: