Corrupted SRUDB.dat file. Cannot repair or restore Windows 8.1

It started when I started to get the following message every minute in my Application event log:

svchost (1800) SRUJet: Database C:\Windows\system32\SRU\SRUDB.dat: Index AppIdTimeStamp of table {D10CA2FE-6FCF-4F6D-848E-B2E99266FA89} is corrupted (0).

After much research, I came to the conclusion that I should probably do a Repair on my Windows 8.1 installation.  I have an ASUS s405c laptop that came preinstalled with Windows 8.  For a short time, I had Ubuntu linux installed as well as a dual boot system.  I later updated my Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 from the app store and then removed Ubuntu linux.

While trying to perform a Repair or Restore, I get a message that says that the drive with windows installed is locked.  It's the same if I try and repair or restore from a recovery drive.  I've tried running sfc /scannow which didn't return any issues.

Thinking that the locked c drive might be due to the Ubuntu boot record still being listed in my bios, I tried rebuilding the bcd using information I've scraped together on the Microsoft community site, ie:

bcdedit /export c:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Here, I get the message:

Successfully scanned windows installations: 0

And I've tried running the following without any luck.

bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot

I've tried manually deleting the ubuntu boot option in the BIOS, and it appears to be deleted at first, but after saving the changes, it reappears.

I'm at a total loss.  I don't know how to unlock my c drive so that I might do a repair or restore.  I don't have windows 8 or 8.1 installation disks because it was pre-installed on the laptop.

I'm not having issues booting my laptop and most things seem to run normally, albeit a little slow.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?

Hi Joe,

What is the make and model of the computer?

This may occur if some computer manufacturers' have locked the C: drive. You may also check computer manufacturer User manual to get more information.

Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The make and model of my laptop is an ASUS s405c.  I've checked the user manual and cannot find any indication that they've locked the drive or even allow tools to lock the drive.

Any other ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joe,

Did you try booting from Windows 8 Installation media?

This issue may occur due to any third party hardware or software conflicts that might corrupted any system files.

If you are unable to boot from the Windows 8 installation media to perform automatic repair, refresh, system restore, etc, let’s try the following steps to run an offline Check disk scan and check.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.
a. Copy all the files from your downloaded ISO or Windows 8 installation disc to a USB stick.
b. Boot from that USB stick and press Shift+F10 when Windows 8 setup WinPE shell starts.
c. In the command prompt type:

x:\>chkdsk /f /v /r /b /offlinescanandfix c:

NOTE: Make sure c: is your boot drive with your Operating System by running.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've done the chkdsk before, but I ran it again today.  It found some bad sectors and areas that it was able to repair.  However, my problem still persists.  The C drive is still locked which makes it impossible for me to do a refresh or repair, and I still get all those errors in the application event log.

I don't have Windows 8.1 installation media accept for the recovery usb drive that I've created for myself.  Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joe,

There will be some settings with in the device, You have to get in touch with your computer manufacturer i.e. Asus support to get the settings unlocked.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/default.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for all the help guys.  After talking with Asus, it seems the only fix for this is to send it back for repair.  I can't repair because the c drive is locked, and I can't restore / reinstall windows because a necessary partition is missing (restore partition?).

The question(s) I have is whether the locked hard drive is a software feature or a hardware feature?  And could one potentially recreate the missing partition that contains the restore information?  Asus told me the only way to repair it is to have it serviced by their technicians, but I suspect that there may be a way to recreate that partition somehow.

Anyways, thanks for all the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The drive lock option was given to some of the hard drives. That was enabled by concerned hard drive manufacturers. Hence I would suggest you to contact the computer manufacturer for better support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It started when I started to get the following message every minute in my Application event log:

svchost (1800) SRUJet: Database C:\Windows\system32\SRU\SRUDB.dat: Index AppIdTimeStamp of table {D10CA2FE-6FCF-4F6D-848E-B2E99266FA89} is corrupted (0).

After much research, I came to the conclusion that I should probably do a Repair on my Windows 8.1 installation.  I have an ASUS s405c laptop that came preinstalled with Windows 8.  For a short time, I had Ubuntu linux installed as well as a dual boot system.  I later updated my Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 from the app store and then removed Ubuntu linux.

While trying to perform a Repair or Restore, I get a message that says that the drive with windows installed is locked.  It's the same if I try and repair or restore from a recovery drive.  I've tried running sfc /scannow which didn't return any issues.

Thinking that the locked c drive might be due to the Ubuntu boot record still being listed in my bios, I tried rebuilding the bcd using information I've scraped together on the Microsoft community site, ie:

bcdedit /export c:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Here, I get the message:

Successfully scanned windows installations: 0

And I've tried running the following without any luck.

bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot

I've tried manually deleting the ubuntu boot option in the BIOS, and it appears to be deleted at first, but after saving the changes, it reappears.

I'm at a total loss.  I don't know how to unlock my c drive so that I might do a repair or restore.  I don't have windows 8 or 8.1 installation disks because it was pre-installed on the laptop.

I'm not having issues booting my laptop and most things seem to run normally, albeit a little slow.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2023 Views 4,760 Applies to: