Black screen after installing Windows 8.1 update 1

Original Title: Windows crashed after installing Windows 8.1 update 1Black

I tried to install the Windows 8.1 update 1 (KB 2919355) today and it left my computer in an unbootable state (I can't even boot to safe mode). It shows the Windows logo and circles and after that, it sits at a black screen with the cursor and wifi indicator appearing periodically. I thought it created a system restore point but it never did. I managed to boot to recovery but from there, I attempted to run a startup repair and sfc /scannow and I had no luck whatsoever. I really don't want to do a clean install because I just did one about 3 weeks back and just recently got everything back on there. The computer did not originally come with Windows 8 as it was upgraded to it from Windows 7.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Harrison,

This issue might occur due to outdated or incompatible display driver installed on the computer.

1. How did you tried to perform a System Restore?
  2. What is the Make and Model of the computer?
  3. How did you navigate to the recovery options? Is it using a media?

I would suggest you to try hard reset method to boot the computer in safe mode and then try updating the display driver installed on the computer. Follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1:

Follow the steps to boot the computer in safe mode:

• Hold power button to shut down the system.
  • Press the power button to restart system.
  • Repeat the steps multiple times (twice or thrice until you see the recovery page).
  • After that, select "advanced repair option" in Recovery page
  • Select "Troubleshoot" in Choose an option page.
  • Select "Advanced options" in Troubleshoot page.
  • Select "Startup Settings" in Advanced options page.
  • Select "Restart" in Startup Settings.
  • After restart the system, choose "4) Enable Safe Mode".
  • Now, if you are able to boot the computer in safe mode, Press Windows+X keys and select Device Manager.
  • Locate the Display adapter and expand the driver icon.
  • Right Click on the display driver and select Disable.
  • Restart the computer and check if you are able to boot the computer normally.
  • If yes, download and install the latest display driver from the computer’s manufacturer website.

If the issue still persists, proceed to the next method.

Method 2:

When you install an update offered from Windows Update, then, a restore is created.

If you haven’t tried performing a System Restore using the media/recovery environment, you can do so and see if it fixes the issue.

If you do not have a Windows 8.1 media, refer to the link to create one and then proceed further:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media   

Follow the steps:

• After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
  • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
  • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
  • Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
  • Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
  • Select System Restore.
  • Check the box that says “Show more restore points”.
  • Select the restore point prior to this issue and proceed further with the restore operation.
  • Windows will restart after it restores the operating system to a previous point. Check if it fixes the issue.

For reference:

You can reinstall the update for Windows 8.1 Update April, 2014:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355/en-us

Please let us know the status of this issue.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have had the exact same issue. Lucky enough I did have a restore point which got it back working to the day before the update. I thought this must have just been a glitch so I tried the update again and did the exact same thing, black screen cursor periodic wifi flash but nothing else. And it did the same thing when I installed and tried it a third time making sure the computer was awake the whole time and giving it a good hour to see if it would eventually load screen.

It has the exact same behavior even when I boot into safe mode on multiple attempts (though once I believe I did see it flash the safe mode boxes in the corners). I have tried tried everything I could think of and every solution listed in prior form posts about this and has had no change, only fix is to system restore to pre update and then not attempt the update again.

Heres a quick run through of what I've tried so far:

reboot

system restore and tried update again twice

safe mode (same black screen / cursor)

safe mode with networking

low resolution mode

options for no digital driver enforcement / malware startup

tried running startup repair multiple times successively says cannot repair each time

hibernating and unhibernating

toggling screen on / off with function keys

hit windows key + shift + arrows (to see if login was projected off screen)

in command prompt (accessible from troubleshoot section on os selection) I have also tried:

chkdsk - no errors

chkdsk /r

bootrec /fixmbr - says successful

bootred /fixboot - says successful

At this point I think I will have to ignore this update unless someone can come up with a new fix :(

(Computer is laptop - Intel® Core™ i3 3217U Processor / hd4000 graphics running windows 8.1 up to date besides most recent update)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, it looked like it was more of a disk error rather than the update causing it. I pulled the hard drive and plugged it into my desktop and I ran both a defrag and a chkdsk /f/r. The disk was fragmented and I let it do its thing and disk errors did come back with chkdsk. Luckily, this looked like this fixed my problem

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Harrison,

Glad to know that you have fixed the issue.

Thank you for sharing the information on this forum. This will help other community members as well.

Please let us know if you have more queries on Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue with the update. It did not create a system restore point. I was lucky to have an older one. Tried it several times, and still black screen with cursor (it's the same in safe mode).

I have the latest chipset drivers from MSI, the latest GeForce drivers for my GTX770, and basically everything else is up to date. (I even updated my BIOS, but that didn't help either).

edit.: It's a desktop computer, and the system is running on SSD.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft is informed about this issue. And I think, running a chkdsk and having success with the update was just some luck and the problem is anywhere other located.

My system is fully operating, fully healthy and in almost everything up to date. But actually no way to install that one big KB2919355.. Black logon screen, any low resolution, the WLAN icon on the wrong side (left), and a flickering "busy" mouse cursor that only appears if I move my mouse.

See here for Microsoft Poland response: Link

Gruß,
- Stephan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this exact issue..can someone from Microsoft provide a solution!?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue with my desktop.

Same black screen with mouse being busy.

Sometime I can see the language bar on the bottom flickering as well.

I cannot boot into safe mode either because of the same problem.

I have the latest driver for my AMD Radeon HD7700 video card so I don't think that is the problem.

Please provide support!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Something is very wrong with this update. I did a clean install just for this. Sure enough the update installed fine. Windows booted to desktop, everything worked. For half a day! Then the problem came back. But this time it was a little worse. I was anticipating it, so I created a restore point right out of the gate, but I couldn't restore it this time. (There was an automatic one too, but that also failed to restore). System restore inormed me that I have an Antivirus program and it cannot finalize the restore. This is ridiculous as I had the same AV installed the last time around (Eset Smart Security 7), and there was no problem with it. So now I'm on my third clean install.

The problem might come from theme service. I suspect it, because the last time it occured I saw an auto theme change (windows reverted to default theme on it's own). After that I rebooted, because I thought something was glitching and I couldn't boot anymore.

Some specifics about the situation: there is a cursor. I can move it. Ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+shift+esc doesn't work. Win+P brings up an empty charms bar, but I can't do anything with it. At one time I enabled the text to speech interface with some key combo, but that's all the life I could get out of it. The same goes for safe mode.

That's literally all I can say about the problem right now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft must provide a solution before telling us we cannot get security updates without this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 3, 2021 Views 12,963 Applies to: