Question

Q: BITS Not Running (Windows 8.1) - Error code: 2147024894 (SOLVED) This thread is locked from future replies

Hi,

I was trying to install the recent Windows Updates today on my laptop but it seems I have ran into a problem and I would be grateful for any help. When trying to install updates today I got an error code 80246008. 

I had a look at my Background Intelligence Transfer Service which I set to Automatic (delayed) but it still refused to start. What it gave me was an error code: 2147024894. My Network List Service and Location Awareness and Windows Event Log are all running.

I have tried resetting and restarting Windows Update and BITS via Command Prompt but was given this error code: 2147942402

So I have been trying various efforts to fix this but nothing is coming to pass (including troubleshooter). Just last week I installed the anti-virus program Kaspersky so I do not know if that is causing some sort of conflict?

I very much would appreciate any help, thanks!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I was trying to install the recent Windows Updates today on my laptop but it seems I have ran into a problem and I would be grateful for any help. When trying to install updates today I got an error code 80246008. 

I had a look at my Background Intelligence Transfer Service which I set to Automatic (delayed) but it still refused to start. What it gave me was an error code: 2147024894. My Network List Service and Location Awareness and Windows Event Log are all running.

I have tried resetting and restarting Windows Update and BITS via Command Prompt but was given this error code: 2147942402

So I have been trying various efforts to fix this but nothing is coming to pass (including troubleshooter). Just last week I installed the anti-virus program Kaspersky so I do not know if that is causing some sort of conflict?

I very much would appreciate any help, thanks!

Kaspersky should not affect Windows Updates Service but it will certainly result in the shutting down of Windows Defender and ITS updates.

However, Command Prompt is not your best choice for a fix with Windows Update.

Suggest you right click on the Action Center flag on the right of your Taskbar and select "Troubleshoot a Problem" at which point you will see this:

Under System and Security select "Fix problems with Windows Update"  Click "Advanced" then select "Run as Administrator" then click "Next."

This should solve your problem.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Hi ya,

Thanks for the information about Kasperksy.

Sadly though the advanced Troubleshoot suggestion did not work, it seems to get stuck on 'Starting Bits Service' and then says it can't fix the update problems.

Not sure if a certain file is missing or tweaked etc?

Sorry this didn't help.

You will need to contact Microsoft Technical Support to solve that. I think.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus?wa=wsignin1.0  you should have stayed away from Command Prompt.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help and link, I will check it out...hopefully I didn't mess anything with the Command Prompt.

I may try the Windows Update components resetting via the Fix It tool?

Thanks again

Sorry this didn't help.

I would.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have managed to SOLVE this issue !

I went to the Microsoft link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910337

My particular issue was under this, and it worked perfectly and solved the BITS issue:

If you receive this error message, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
  3. If the registry subkey exists, go to step 4. If the registry subkey does not exist, create the registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Right-click Backup Restore, point to New, and then click Key.
    2. Type FilesNotToBackup, and then press ENTER.
  4. Quit Registry Editor.
  5. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
  6. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
  7. In the General tab, click Start.

Thanks again for your help, I am just glad this has been sorted but I do wonder why this happened in the first place.

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

OMG!  I thought I'd exhausted every option other than re-installing Windows.  Then I came across THIS ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

No worries! Stuff like this can be pretty frustrating to say the least, glad you sorted your system out too!

Sorry this didn't help.

Valeu!!!! Depois de tanta procura enfim uma resposta últil!!! (y)

Sorry this didn't help.

My particular issue was under this, and it worked perfectly and solved the BITS issue:

If you receive this error message, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
  3. If the registry subkey exists, go to step 4. If the registry subkey does not exist, create the registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Right-click Backup Restore, point to New, and then click Key.
    2. Type FilesNotToBackup, and then press ENTER.
  4. Quit Registry Editor.
  5. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
  6. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
  7. In the General tab, click Start.

I seriously spent 24 hours straight looking for answers for this issue. (I actually had one error that when fixed caused this one) Anyways thanks for your help!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4162 Last updated: January 28, 2018 Applies to: