After recent Windows Updates, WIndows 8.1 tablet now shuts down after login

I have a Samsung Ativ Tab 3 tablet, which has been running Windows 8.1 flawlessly forever.  Yesterday I ran windows update (it had been a couple of months since last updating) and received a number of updates.  While applying the updates, I got the Shutting Down message, and the tablet shut down.

Now, every time I start it up, it lasts through the login, and just as it gets to the desktop, it shuts down.  

I can boot into Safe Mode without issue.

So last night, I did a full wipe and reload - back to Windows 8.  I installed Windows 8, no problems.  Added all the Windows 8 updates, no problems.  Upgraded to Windows 8.1 through the store, no problems.  Applied all the Windows 8.1 updates.... and, boom, I have the shut down behavior again.

If I move back to a restore point, I can log in again.

But I am unable to determine which update is causing this behavior, or why this is happening.

I am not the only one having this problem...  https://www.reddit.com/r/windows8/comments/4u2k55/windows_81_update_causing_shut_down_on_log_in/

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2019 Views 4,331 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It seems that a particular update, the first optional update (1- Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Dynamic Platform andThermal Framework Manager Download size: 5.4 MB) might be the culprit here.

I'm doing another fresh reload of my device now, and will skip that update and see.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-update/automatic-shutdown-after-installing-10-optional/456c4a45-8d7b-44ef-aa59-95fce00d49d8

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same issue on my Thinkpad Tablet 2.  I suspect the same driver.  I was able to do a system restore to get my tablet working again, so I didn't have to do a complete reinstall.  At this point I'm back to installing critical updates.  I'll post again if I figure it out.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've now installed all updates except the "IntelDynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager", and my tablet is working fine now.  That update seems to be the culprit that was causing it to automatically shutdown right after login.  I hope this helps someone.  Glen, thanks for your post!  I suspected that update was the issue, and your post reinforced it for me.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

As other users have, I have now completed my reload of my Samsung ATIV Tab.  I wiped it, loaded Windows 8, all the Windows 8 updates, upgraded to Windows 8.1, and installed all the 8.1 updates EXCEPT for the " Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager " update.  And, as others have also reported, my tablet is now working wonderfully again!

MICROSOFT - YOU REALLY NEED TO PULL THIS UPDATE OUT OF WINDOWS UPDATE RIGHT NOW!!!

INTEL - FIX YOUR STUPID UPDATE!  YOU'RE CRASHING PEOPLE'S TABLETS!!!

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Glen Barney,

1- I suggest, Instead of skipping this optional update every time you update your system, is to use a "hide update option" by going to "Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Dynamic Platform andThermal Framework Manager Download size: 5.4 MB" in  the optional update list and right click to hide it forever.

2- try to make a "manual system restore point" before installing any "optional updates".

Best Regards and thanks for sharing my post

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Um yeah, for some reason my computer wasn't creating system restore files and I've just finished about 14 hours of problem-solving this before finally "Refreshing" my computer and losing all my settings.   I too have verified that it is the "Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Dynamic Platform andThermal Framework Manager" causing the problem.   The error code generated so that others can reference it is "PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR"

@Glenn, I agree with you 100%.  MS and Intel need to pull this update!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Dell Latitude 10 tablet with exactly the same issue as everyone else but don't know how to boot it into safe mode or do the roll back required, any assistance gratefully received.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Dell Latitude 10 tablet with exactly the same issue as everyone else but don't know how to boot it into safe mode or do the roll back required, any assistance gratefully received.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81

Here is a great website  how to start up in safe mode or get to system restore

Easiest way - at sign in screen  hit power button then hold shift and choose restart - keep shift held down until you see the option screens come up

Hope this helps

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue...

Definitely:

"Intel dynamic platform and thermal framework generic participant" ("Released in October, 2015," "Published 9/23/16," according to info listed when selecting update.)

It's the only update remaining. When I install it and reboot, the tablet misbehaves and "shuts down" immediately after logging in (about 5-10 seconds later). VERY annoying. Thankfully I had System Restore turned on after doing a hard reinstall of the machine after the windows install somehow got corrupted and nothing would resurrect it from the diagnostics screen.

Got done with all updates but after the last "batch" encountered the "shut down after login" bug, so rolled back entire last batch of updates and installed 2-3 at a time until the issue replicated. Was down to the last couple "drivers" and had a 50/50 chance of which one it was. Wasn't the Bluetooth UART driver. Was the Intel framework. Have rolled that one back and now works fine. Reinstalled and goes into shutdown bug. Uninstalled, works fine.

*Definitely* this driver update causing it. CONFIRMED in my mind beyond a shadow of a doubt. Pain the [hindquarters] to track down...

I'm hiding this update. If it's effectively bricking people's tablets, it needs to be pulled and/or researched/fixed.

HP Elitepad

Model: HSTNN-C75C

Product: D3H85UT#ABA

HP Elitepad Expansion Jacket

Model: HSTNN-C75J

Product: 716714-001

If that helps...

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Outstanding chunk of detective work.

It has been years since I have gotten such great information from the internet.  Internet has become more of a "HinderNet"  in the last few years.  Adds, pump and dump, posts from clueless people.

The testing you did and the results you provided are great service to the community and you should be applauded.

Thank you so much.

Pete

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.