Question

Q: Need help with search in windows 8.1

Original title: Search

I need help with search in windows 8.1 the Bing search works well as far as just typing in the start screen the search box appears and the typed entry, I bring up the charms on the start click search then select Files in the drop down list instead of everywhere and it will not bring up any File I want to put a short cut on my desktop for Screensaver but can't find the file location. If you can tell me what I need to do to find files in search, and if you know where the screensaver file is? As in C: windows/ system/ screensaver etc: I found after a long time using Vista that there was a secret on the Internet that MS did not tell us in vista if you entered ( : ) in front of every search you could find anything, as in :C:/window32/etc: always colon first and then you found it. Is there a box I could check to find windows files it should work but does not. Any answers? Location of the "Screen Saver" file?

Answer

A:

Hi Calvin

Thank you for the detailed information. Refer to the following link, which has more information about using search on Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 search issues.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-tms/windows-81-search-issues/47a7e273-f0d2-40b4-8ddc-60c84cde174b?page=1&tm=1402584293554

As a work around, you can try these if you are trying to locate file/folder from the same computer. Try to search file/folder from Windows Explorer search.
1. Press Windows and E keys together.
2. On right top corner, you will be able to see “Search This PC “.
3. Enter the keyword in “Search This PC “to search.

Go through the following path find the screensaver.

C: \\windows\\system32\\find the files with the extension .scr.

There are six files with that extension.

3D Text: C:\Windows\System32\ssText3d.scr

Blank: C:\Windows\System32\scrnsave.scr

Bubbles: C:\Windows\System32\Bubbles.scr

Mystify: C:\Windows\System32\Mystify.scr

Photos: C:\Windows\System32\PhotoScreensaver.scr

Ribbons: C:\Windows\System32\Ribbons.scr

Refer to these steps to create a shortcut for the screensaver:

1. Right click on an empty area on desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Type the command below for the screen saver you want into the location area with the quotes, and click/tap on the Next button.

%windir%\explorer "full path to screen saver .scr file"

For example if I want 3d text as screensaver shortcut then type:  %windir%\explorer "C:\Windows\System32\ssText3d.scr "

Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 101 Last updated: February 12, 2018 Applies to: