Mouse pointer freezes on screen - Lenovo Yoga 500

The mouse pointer suddenly freezes and then unfreezes after a few seconds. This happens at random times every 2-3 minutes and disrupts my working.

The Windows on the system is 8.1 and it's a brand new laptop purchased just 3 days back

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2019 Views 6,830 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have a laptop myself although not a Lenovo, but used to experience that problem myself frequently. I final resolved it by buying a USB mouse and using that. It's much easier to work with as well especially for scrolling since you can use the mouse wheel.

To disable the touchpad on your machine hit Fn+F6. See this article for more info on that subject: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-500-14ibd/documents/HT075464?tabName=Solutions

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Possible the problem is with a bad M$ automatic update that came out on August 12.  I know the date because I used my computer that day before and after a bunch of automatic updates installed themselves.  One of them toasted the mouse on my Yoga 2 and I still haven't figured out how to get it back in action.  Unfortunately, even if you take out the bad driver, it will come back in its same defective state.  (I know; I tried that several times, along with uninstalling several of the August 12 updates to see if taking any of them out would solve the mouse problem.) 

Using a USB mouse pretty much eliminates one of the advantages of Windows 8, which is the expanded utility of the touchpad.  It's the workaround I'm using, but it sucks.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You can try doing the following just in case it's a corrupt system file which is causing the problem..

1. Right click the Start button and go to Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Then type, or copy/paste: sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

System File Checker will check the integrity of Windows system files and try to fix any corruption found.

If you see a message that Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. copy/paste the following command into the same command prompt and hit Enter: DISM.exe/Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank  you, but I tried that last night after finding that suggestion.  It didn't find any problems.

Getting there, however, did alert me to yet another thing that the bad update toasted -- the start button.  Right clicking on it using the external mouse did nothing.  Pressing the button on the keyboard did nothing.  I was, however, able to right click on it by holding my finger on the touchscreen.

So, at this point, the count is:

* Semi-dead start button; haven't tried yet to get to the tiles that I would have to get to by left clicking on it, but can't use the 2 easiest methods to left or right click it

* Can't use the touchpad mouse

* Can't move from one window to another without minimizing or, in some cases, closing out entirely from the window I'm in.

* Can't enter or edit appointments in Outlook without going through way too many steps (double click on the appointment or appointment-to-be; click on "calendar tools"; click on the "open file" icon; then enter the changes or appointment in the dialogue box that comes up).

* Permanently set the audio to 100%; trying to reduce it reverses itself in seconds

* Placed an audio volume meter on top of everything else on the desktop.  Solved that, and the loud audio, by disabling the speaker entirely, since I rarely listen to audio on this computer

* Miscellaneous other settings changed; I'm still finding them.

Gee, with this quality of update, I wonder why I am NOT AT ALL EAGER to try Windows 10?  Maybe a Mac instead.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine isn't a Yoga 500; it's a Yoga 13.  Model 20175.

I have tried updating everything I could, particularly hoping that the bad August 12 M$ update would be corrected with another update.  Hasn't happened yet, and I am still cursing M$ every time I find a new non-working feature that used to work before the afternoon of August 12.  (That was after the second round of auto updates that it did that day.)

Since I can pinpoint when the problem arose to the day and the event that immediately preceded it, I haven't looked at earlier updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't seem to find a Yoga 13 20175 in their database: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/?menu-id=laptop,_desktop,_tablet,_workstation_and_thinkserver_support

If you can identify it properly, there might be a driver update available to fix the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

What can I say?

The label on the back says Ideapad Yoga 13 Model 20175.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, there's a touchpad driver dated 8/13/2014 here: http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-13-notebook-ideapad/downloads/DS031974

Or, if you decide to upgrade to Windows 10, you need this one instead: http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-13-notebook-ideapad/downloads/DS103346

There's a list of mouse related troubleshooting articles on this page which you can filter by typing "Mouse" in the Component field: http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-13-notebook-ideapad?c=1

Although you're not a gamer, you could try installing this patch to see if it improves mouse behaviour: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2908279

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  I am going to let someone who knows more about computers do the update you suggest.  It is interesting that the link in your third paragraph gets me to a touchpad "update" that is almost a year older than the link in the first paragraph.

There is no way I am updating to Windows 10 until at least Service Pack 2.  I would not willingly have had the August 12 update happen had I known it would toast not only my mouse, but multiple other functions (Outlook, Windows switching, etc.).  The quality of that update causes me to fear there may some problems with the quality of M$'s coding; otherwise, it would not have made the experience so... much .... like ... Windows 3 or so.

Sorry this didn't help.