Cursor Disappeared with Windows 8.1 Update!

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Lenovo Ideapad y500 to windows 8.1 "update" and my cursor disappears every time my computer boots to the start screen. I have not had this problem with the regular 8.1. I tried re-installing my touchpad driver and that did not work. I tried troubleshooting and that did not work. I tinkered with the mouse settings in the control panel and that also didn't work. I am running out of time and patience, finals is in a couple weeks and I need my computer to work! please help me guys! 

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2018 Views 81,728 Applies to:
Answer
I had this problem too, I connected my lenovo y500 to a tv with hdmi and when i plugged the hdmi out the cursor was gone. Tried to restart and then an update came and the cursor was still not there. After an hour of testing I found something that worked for me, pressing ctrl, alt, delete. Then the cursor appeared for me!

32 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hey Lynn,

042nrogera4  Earlier posted a solution to this problem which apparently works ( I havent tried it as the problem for me just dissappeared after I made a large number of changes to my system to resolve other issues)

Anyway the proposed solution is to edit one registry item. Here is how you do it:

1) From the desktop right-click on the start icon and then click 'Run'

2) In the Run box type in 'regedit' without the quote marks and click OK

3) this will open Windows Registry Editor, now navigate to this path by clicking on the folders in the left hand panel:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System 

4) Once you have opened the system folder you should look down the list that appears in the main box to the right of the panel until you find an entry called EnableCursorSupression double click this entry

5) This will bring up a box that has a value data of 1. Change this to 0 and click OK

6)Close the registry Editor and restart your computer

Let us know if this solution Works, Thanks,

Kudos to 042nrogera4 For finding the solution if it works

42 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.