Windows 8.1.1 Issue Still (System Image Backup)

It looks like a new Windows 8.1.1 was released this morning.

When installing Windows 8.1 using the dvd media, it would guide to a page where I can download the 8.1.1 version.

The attempt might be to resolve the System Image backup issue. For it now does create a new Recovery partition of 350mb under UEFI boot mode.

(Note -  A fresh Windows 8.1 install under Legacy boot mode creates a 350mb Recovery partition. There was no issue with System Image backup/recovery in my tests).

However, testing the new 8.1.1 System Image backup (under UEFI), I still got the following error messages -

'There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set (0x807800C5).

Original, this error got the following info - The specific backup disk cannot be found . (0x80780081).

Testing it a 2nd time writing to a different HDD, the additional info is different - The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation. (0x8078004F).

Did anyone get the similar messages? Any workaround/suggestions?

Can MS Engineers look into the System Image backup/Recovery issue further for a permanent solution? Help!

Thank you.  

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2018 Views 2,212 Applies to:

Instead of installing from DVD, try updating it from Windows Store.

Try creating System Image Backup on an external drive.

Check this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/system-image-backup-failed-for-windows-8/7836bc3f-9c80-45a0-bea3-b39aa682676b

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the suggestion and the link.

Have already tried the 8.0 to 8.1 update route from Windows Store. Since disk was GPT, only 300mb Recovery partition was created (at least that was 3 days ago), System image backup failed.

After expanded the Recovery partition, image backup succeed, but the recovery failed. So this route was a no go.

Have also tried many times to install fresh Windows 8.1 directly from dvd. Only when 8.1 was installed under MRB disk mode, a 350mb Recovery partition would be created.  And then the backup/recovery of the 8.1 system image would work successfully.

There was one time when I installed Windows 8.1 under the GPT mode, I got prompted with a message saying 'there is a newer version of Windows 8.1.1 available, do you want to download it?' and I answered 'OK'. Windows installation for this particular time created a 350mb Recovery partition at the end of the disk following the Windows System partition. (I pre-allocated about 700mb at the beginning of the disk intended to expand the 300mb Recovery partition created by windows installation. However, it wasn't utilized by windows installation). System backup and recovery did work fine this time. And I thought MS had provided the permanent solution.

I wanted to retry the Widows 8.1.1 update so I can get clean working 8.1.1 installation normally. So I refreshed my drive and tried the installation again.  However, I could not get the installation process to display the new version 8.1.1 download prompt any more after trying various ways(refresh/reset/repair/new).  Perhaps some MS Engineer would be able to tell be how.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Right on

Sorry this didn't help.