Windows 8.1 black screen with blinking cursor

System is a Samsung NP880 been running great windows 8.1 installed with no problem, yesterday went to print and could not.  Decided to reboot and laptop booted to a black screen with a blinking cursor, restarted several times with same result.  Went through the recovery options to no avail, still same issue.  Tried a restore point but never finished rebooted to a black screen.  Did some looking, found that this issue can be caused by a corrupt display driver and to resolve it boot into safe mode and remove it.  Seems simple enough, booted into safe mode only to have the same problem black screen when I move the cursor it flashes for a few seconds and disappears.  I've tried all three safe mode options, ran a check disk, booted to the command prompt with no problem.  Any thoughts?

Before anyone asks, no I cannot press ctrl-alt-delete I've tried that multiple time, nothing happens.  Also there are no error codes to go on.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

From the symptoms it looks like a video card issue.

You may try these steps and check if that helps.

Method 1:

At first let's try to boot the computer in low resolution mode and check the issue status.

Low resolution starts Windows using your current video driver and using low resolution and refresh rate settings. You can use this mode to reset your display settings.

Refer the section:

Enable low-resolution video (640×480)

Method 2:

Steps to perform a startup repair from Windows Recovery Environment.

a) Boot to the Windows Recovery Environment using the recovery partition.

b) In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c) Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d) Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Also refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2756559/en-us

Please get back with the issue status.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've done the low resolution option along with every other option.  I've also done every option on the Windows recovery environment, check point doesn't work, I've also done the automatic repair option and that does not work.  Any other idea's before I have to break down and start from scratch?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You can perform Refresh PC and check if that helps.

You may try using the recovery partition to perform Refresh.

Please refer to How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC for more information on Refresh PC.

Refresh Disclaimer:

The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. Windows puts a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished.

Please get back with the result of the steps suggested.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The whole point in fixing the issue is so that I don't have to spend hours reinstalling applications that I use.  I would prefer to fix the issue instead of starting over.  Had Microsoft kept the in line repair feature we would not be having this conversation.  So again I will ask, is there a way to remove or disable a device driver so the OS does not see it through the recovery console's command prompt thus forcing the OS to use the generic video driver upon boot up?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

jbuck,

I too have this exact problem, with safe mode et al.

Am waiting anxiously for a reply from Anannya.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks as though Anannya has retired.

Found this info related to our problem titled

After you install a device or update a driver for a device, Windows Vista or Windows 7 may not start.

The hive structure appears similar for Windows 8.1.

1. At the command prompt, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then click Load Hive on the File menu.
  3. Locate and then click the C:\Windows\System32\Config\System file, and then click Open.
  4. In the Load Hive dialog box, type Offline, and then click OK.
  5. Expand System, and then click Select.
  6. In the right-pane, locate Current, and then note the value in the Data column.
  7. Expand ControlSet00x, and then expand Services. x is the value from the Data column that you noted in step j.
  8. Locate the subkey that corresponds to the last driver that was installed. If you cannot locate a match, click Services, click Find on the Edit menu, type the name of the driver in the Find what box, and then click Find Next.
  9. Click the subkey that has the driver name.
  10. In the right-pane, right-click Start, and then click Modify.
  11. In the Value data box, type 4, and then click OK. This step stops the driver from starting.
  12. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Offline
  13. On the File menu, click Unload Hive, and then click Yes in the Confirm Unload Hive dialog box.
  14. Exit Registry Editor.
  15. Restart the computer.

Here is my plan of attack,

1) Have image of current working Win8.1 to revert to if all else fails.

2) Note all Graphics drivers in step 8.

3) Install kb2919355, which cause my black screen problems.

4) Change all differing Graphics drivers from my step 2 to a value of 4.

Will this "force the OS to use the generic video driver upon boot up?"

Trial and error will tell, I suppose.

Why doesn't safe mode enforce this anyway? FFS.

Will report back. Work calls.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You will be able to uninstall a particular driver but you have to know the exact name of the driver. If it is an OEM driver then you have to contact them to get the exact name of the driver.

How to Manage Device Drivers with Command Line

Remove a Driver Package from the Driver Store

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know your answer wasn't directed at me but thanks for that info anyway Anannya.

OK, stumped before I start.

Setup

Switchable graphics

AMD Mobility Radeon 5000 series pci card.

Intel HD Graphics integrated.

The AMD has been disabled (works under 8 but not 8.1) and replaced with a non functioning Microsoft Basic Display Adapter to prevent AMD being reinstalled.

Intel HD Graphics works fine for my purposes.

Aim

To install kb9219355 with above setup before May 13.

Inside working Win 8.1

Both MS Basic Display and the Intel Graphics Driver appears in the Registry Editor under HKLM\System\Controlset001\BasicDisplay 

HKLM\System\Controlset001\igfx

In Recovery Consoles Command Prompt - Registry Editor

HKLM\System\Controlset001\BasicDisplay  (is there)

however

HKLM\System\Controlset001\igfx (IS NOT)

The igfx entry is missing?? Searched hi and lo, no sign of it.

So that makes my previous post exercise a bit difficult.

Anyone?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Recovery Consoles Command Prompt

I think msinfo32.exe works in there.   Use it to find out what is loaded?  If not, I'm sure we could use wmic.exe to extract similar information.

I'm surprised that low video mode is not working for you.  But a question I have always had with that Advanced options feature is how do we get more than one option.  E.g. presumably it changes the BCD temporarily but only one option at a time?  If so, you might need to use bcdedit to make a more permanent change in order to effect a compound change.  E.g. otherwise you may only be getting low res or safe mode but not both. 

Also, I have a vague idea that it should be possible to disable drivers in there.  I know that we can't start devmgmt.msc which would be a natural way to control devices and remove drivers but I thought there were some extra commands available for doing that?  Maybe that is only an XP concept.  I think there would be a separate help which could clarify that idea.

BTW it may help to have a second monitor hooked up.  Sometimes these symptoms involve switches of primary and secondary screens.  Otherwise, in some cases a workaround can be as simple as imagining that you can see what is showing on the other monitor and use your keyboard accordingly.  E.g. press Win-P, CursorUp, Enter and then watch (and listen) for indications that doing that may have changed the "blank screen" symptom.  Note that I make a distinction between a black screen and a blank screen.  Certainly if there is a "flashing cursor" it is not on a black screen.    ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply Robert.

msinfo.exe = not a recognised command

(wmic service list brief) does indeed work well. However (wmic product list brief) requires an optional Windows component called "WMI Windows Installer Provider". This component can be installed through "Add/Remove Windows Components"... look for the "Management and Monitoring Tools" group which is not available in my version of 8.1.

I have used the bcdedit to make the use of F8 easier and present the safe mode legacy menu which does not present safe mode with VGA as an option. Will research the bcdedit command line further to see if that can be done.

I have tried a second monitor to both VGA and HDMI outputs, no luck.

You are correct in making the distinction blank v black screen.

My symptom is indeed blank screen.

I also tried Teamviewer which to a point works. The Teamviever dialogue appears on the affected 'blank' screen but the Desktop behind the dialogue remains blank, so there must be some sort of graphics adapter working at that point.

With regards to:-

In Recovery Consoles Command Prompt - Registry Editor

HKLM\System\Controlset001\BasicDisplay  (is there)

however

HKLM\System\Controlset001\igfx (IS NOT)

The igfx entry is missing?? Searched hi and lo, no sign of it.

So that makes my previous post exercise a bit difficult.

... I have found the problem.

Apparently the Recovery Console has it own registry on the X:\.

One needs to navigate to D:\ if that is where the OS resides, (if normally C:\ then for some reason Recovery Console changes that to D:\) as per these instructions.

Now I can see everything I need to know re graphics adapters in the registry.

Tomorrow is Saturday, yay, a lot more time to experiment, work calls again now though, will report back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2023 Views 11,722 Applies to: