Windows 8.1 Black Screen, Cant boot into recovery mode

When I booted up my laptop it suddenly would not boot and would just sit on a blank screen. I tried getting into my HP recovery mode which just showed a background but nothing came up and then tried getting into windows 8 recovery but that also did not load. I tired reinstalling Windows 8 if my disc and it just stays on "setup is starting" and the repair options on the disc do not load. All I can do is get into my BIOS which has no option to go to Factory settings unlike my custom built desktop pc. 

Someone please help I am completely stuck 

My laptop came with Windows 7 when brought but did that windows 8 £20 upgrade offer a few months back, but wish I never did Windows 8 and 8.1 is just a total nightmare and even my Desktop sometimes gets blue screens!

My laptop is

Compaq Presario Notebook CQ57-475SA 15.6 inch 500GB HDD 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual Core B960 Processor  64 Bit Laptop

Hi,

This issue can be caused due to both software and hardware settings.

Let’s try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up.

If this fixes the issue, then add the devices one after the other until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then we can update driver software for that particular device.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to create a Windows 8.1 installation media and then try to perform an Startup Repair and check if it helps.

Create installation media for Windows 8.1: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Startup Repair is a Windows 8.1 system recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files.

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8.1 computer follow these steps:

a.     Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer.

b.     Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

c.     Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

d.     Click next and select Repair your computer.

e.     You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.

f.      You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Note: To perform a Factory Reset, you may have to contact System Manufactures’.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This works.

I highly recommend to format a pendrive first, then record in the main folder and lunch "installation media for Windows 8.1".

The rest according to the Microsoft instruction.

After you've created the installation media, do one of the following to install Windows 8.1:

• Connect the USB flash drive to the PC where you want to install Windows 8.1, browse to it in File Explorer, and then open the setup.exe file. Follow the instructions in setup.

• If your PC is set up to boot from a USB drive, connect the USB flash drive to the PC where you want to install Windows 8.1, restart (reboot) it, and then follow the instructions in setup.

• If your PC is set up boot from the DVD drive, insert the DVD into your PC, restart (reboot) it, and then follow the instructions in setup.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2020 Views 5,356 Applies to: