Since upgrading Windows backup fails - Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

I get the following error in the Application log when trying to do a backup since upgrading to Win 8.1(64-bit):

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:

AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:

Access is denied.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2019 Views 10,668 Applies to:

Hi,

Refer to these steps and check

1. Click on Computer.
  2. Navigate to %systemdrive%\Windows.

By default, %systemdrive% is located at C:\.

3. Right-click Registration, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
  4. Click Advanced, and then click Edit.
  5. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
  6. Click Edit to view the special permissions assigned to this folder.
  7. Ensure that the access control list matches the following criteria:
    • The local Administrators group has Full Control permissions applied to This folder and files.
    • The Everyone group has List folder/read data, Read attributes, Read extended attributes, and Read permissions applied to This folder and files.
    • The local SYSTEM account has Full Control permissions applied to This folder and files.
  8. If the permissions on this folder do not match what is listed in this procedure, make the appropriate changes, and then click OK.

You can also refer to

Refer to Rob da Tech’s post posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:29 PM from the following link and check.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/14abbc90-cab5-4fc6-953a-96c1929f9a7b/eventid-513-capi2-error?forum=itprovistasp

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your answer...

I followed these instructions exactly and it did not help... The error is still there when I try the backup.

I even tried what I could glean from the thread you recommended but it was no help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just like sentoenner, I very carefully did all the steps you suggested in order to resolve this error.

Event ID:  513

Source:  Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2

"Description:
Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.

Unfortunately, I also was NOT able to resolve this issue.  The same exact error message comes up again. 

Just like senoenner, this error message ONLY comes on when I try to do "System Image Backup" via "File History" in Windows 8.1. 

I can however successfully create system images and restore them.  I tested it. 

However, seeing ANY error messages associated with doing system images is going to be very irritating and worrisome for just about everyone.  I think of system images as like insurance.  I don't like doing anything potentially problematic on a computer without having some very recent system images ready to go in order to turn back the clock ... very quickly now since I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD for my system drive.

Is there anyone else at Microsoft that has a solution?  Is this a "known issue" that a group of Microsoft people are working on now?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since UPGRADING to Windows 8.1 I have the same Error popping up.

I note that Ganesh Achar B has not returned to this thread.

I followed the steps outlined and there are NO issues.

I went to the supplied link which goes back to 2009 (a bit before Windows 8.1) can't say that I've read it in full detail but there are 1409 files in that folder. I'm looking for a solution NOT a new full time profession. I UPGRADED on October 17th and can say without exaggeration have spend at least 75% of my computer time trying to solve Windows 8.1 problems.

I'll start my own thread (with a link to this one) maybe we'll get a different solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same error.  Tried all this but everything was already as described, except the permissions you discuss did not match that actual permissions displayed in the dialog boxes on Windows 8.1 Pro.

As far as I could tell, the permissions that were actually in the dialog box approximate what was discussed here.

Is there a resolution to this problem yet, or one in the works?

Thanks ... aeoril

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue.
Windows 8.1, create Image using Windows built-in functionality and Macrium Reflect tool.
Spent quite sometime on this with no success. I guess I just have to live with the fact I can't create an image of my system?
Bruno Garcia MCSA Windows Server 2003 MCTS .NET Framework 2.0 - Web Developer

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Refer to these steps and check

1. Click on Computer.
  2. Navigate to %systemdrive%\Windows.

By default, %systemdrive% is located at C:\.

3. Right-click Registration, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
  4. Click Advanced, and then click Edit.
  5. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
  6. Click Edit to view the special permissions assigned to this folder.
  7. Ensure that the access control list matches the following criteria:
    • The local Administrators group has Full Control permissions applied to This folder and files.
    • The Everyone group has List folder/read data, Read attributes, Read extended attributes, and Read permissions applied to This folder and files.
    • The local SYSTEM account has Full Control permissions applied to This folder and files.
  8. If the permissions on this folder do not match what is listed in this procedure, make the appropriate changes, and then click OK.

You can also refer to

Refer to Rob da Tech’s post posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:29 PM from the following link and check.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/14abbc90-cab5-4fc6-953a-96c1929f9a7b/eventid-513-capi2-error?forum=itprovistasp

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

My settings of my computer with Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit is configured like that already.  Doesn't help. Still happening sometimes but not all the times.

Sorry this didn't help.

szz743 at the following link answered this question with a solution that is not simple but if you are comfortable with the command line, then give it a shot...

Go here and scroll down to the ANSWER:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/cryptographic-services-failed-while-processing-the/c4274af3-79fb-4412-8ca5-cee721bda112?rtAction=1405192846981

Sorry this didn't help.