Question

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and black stripes / glitchy screen

Tia. asked on

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

So lately I've been having this problem where my computer randomly restarts when left alone for 5 to 10 minutes, and it's been going on for about two weeks now.

Only today I was back in time to see the blue screen with the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR message (first time I've seen it).

This has been happening a lot lately and it only happens when I leave my laptop for a few minutes! Never when I'm actually there.

It's very annoying! Sometimes when I'm working or talking to someone, I leave for 5 minutes only to come back to a restarted computer.

I usually only have Chrome and iTunes opened when this happens.

Black stripes / glitchy screen

I've also been dealing with a glitchy screen for quite some time now (several months) ever since

I updated to windows 8.1 (it never happened before the update!!)

Several black horizontal stripes randomly appear on my screen, they aren't visible on screen shots. I've tried updating my driver (AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series) but it didn't help. I'm unable to restore back to windows 8 since 8.1 deleted the recovery point and would prefer not to because I really do not want to re-download/install all of my documents/music/bookmarks/videos/etc!

I don't know what to do anymore and I'd like some help with both of these issues!!!

Thank you!

4 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

Hi,

Given what you've described, please run chkdsk (paste log afterwards) and then Seatools:

Chkdsk:
There are various ways to run Chkdsk~

Method 1:

Start > Search bar > Type cmd (right click run as admin to execute Elevated CMD)

Elevated CMD should now be opened, type the following:

chkdsk x: /r

x implies your drive letter, so if your hard drive in question is letter c, it would be:

chkdsk c: /r

Restart system and let chkdsk run.

Method 2:

Open the "Computer" window
    Right-click on the drive in question
    Select the "Tools" tab
    In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

If you'd like to get a log file that contains the chkdsk results, do the following:

Press Windows Key + R and type powershell.exe in the run box

Paste the following command and press enter afterwards:

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

This will output a .txt file on your Desktop containing the results of the chkdsk.

If chkdsk turns out okay, run Seatools -

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

You can run it via Windows or DOS. Do note that the only difference is simply the environment you're running it in. In Windows, if you are having what you believe to be device driver related issues that may cause conflicts or false positive, it may be a wise decision to choose the most minimal testing environment (DOS).

Run all tests EXCEPT: Fix All and anything Advanced.

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress