How to Refresh Windows 8.1 if upgraded from Windows 8 and files are missing.

Have recently upgraded to windows 8.1 from windows 8, and I am experiencing network problems and system crashes. I would like to refresh the windows 8.1 installation.

When I try to refresh, I get the message:

'Some files are missing. Your windows installation or recovery media will provide these files.'

When I follow the steps to create the installation media, I can not because I have only a windows 8 key.

I don't want to have to go through the steps to re install windows 8 and all of my programs, then re upgrade to windows 8. What other options do I have? Is the only option to buy windows 8.1?

Thanks

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi James,

I would suggest you to create a Windows 8 DVD from the purchase time confirmation email of Windows 8. Then try to perform refresh and check if it helps. 

Note: Refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished. 

Refer to the link:  

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc  

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you. I have created a windows 8 DVD from the original windows 8 email. When I run the DVD, it takes me to a screen where it asks what I would like to keep, and the only option is "Nothing." I do not want to go down the route of a fresh install. Among other things, my 2 TB WD usb back up drive is not being recognized by windows 8.1, so I am unsure what has been backed up. (Note, other smaller usb drives are being recognized, so this may be an error with the WD drive; although, I did not notice it until after I installed windows 8.1. Also when downloading windows 8, it would not let me select the usb option because it could not see the 16GB usb thumb drive; eventhough, the usb drive shows up on windows file explorer. This may be another indication of a bad windows 8.1 installation.)

When I go to the windows 8.1 Recovery section and select refresh, I still get the message of missing files. When I insert the windows 8 dvd, I then get the message: "The media inserted is not valid. Make sure that you have inserted your windows installation or recovery media." I think the issue is it is missing windows 8.1 files, which are not on the windows 8 installation disk.

I still think probably my best option to get my computer back to working is to buy a new installation of windows 8.1 so that I can do a proper refresh from windows 8.1. I am not happy about spending the money, and I fell scammed, but I think it is a better option that buying another 2TB back up drive to back up my files, which may or may not work.

James

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue as James. I originally purchased Windows 8 Pro and have since upgraded to Windows 8.1.  The only option I get is to reinstall Windows 8 retaining "nothing," but all I want to do is a Refresh. 

Is it impossible to Refresh Windows 8.1 if I originally purchased Windows 8, not 8.1? It is a free upgrade, so there should be a way to do it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi James,

I would suggest you to create a Windows 8 DVD from the purchase time confirmation email of Windows 8. Then try to perform refresh and check if it helps. 

Note: Refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished. 

Refer to the link:  

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc  

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

That is seriously the worst answer I've ever heard.  You want people needing to refresh after the update to 8.1 to essentially reload the OLD OS and then upgrade again.  You guys should have had a method for 8.1 users who upgraded from 8 to refresh.  Anything else (which seems to be the case) is an incomplete upgrade.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What about a fix for someone with a tablet, that does not have a DVD drive?

I am using the Razer Edge Pro tablet. It worked beautifully with Windows 8, then I updated to 8.1, even following the manufacturer's specific instructions for how to update successfully. The screen display rotated itself, so my display was always upside down, the touch screen controls completely reversed themselves (touching the upper left actually clicked in the lower right side of the screen). I took my tablet to GeekSquad after fighting to try to restore it myself to factory settings (missing media files). After waiting for one month to get it back with a fix, still no luck. They managed to fix the touch screen controls, and it seemed to be working in the store when they showed it to me. They already had it up and running, under a default user, in the PC settings screen, awaiting my Windows product key (printed on the back of the tablet). I proceeded to enter my Windows 8 product key, but as soon as I connected it back to the internet after at least one full factory reset, the PC settings app cannot open. I am then prompted to refresh the tablet, in which it fails every time due to missing media files. I have looked through all of the fixes online, which cannot be done because I only have a Windows 8 key that came with my tablet, and not an 8.1 key. As far as I can tell, the only fix for me is to BUY Windows 8.1, and that is not going to happen, OR to return my tablet under a manufacturer warrantee to get a brand new one and then refuse to update it until there is a new patch. I am extremely frustrated to find out that after a month of waiting, I still have a $1300 brick, all thanks to trying to update. I am also not impressed that since I had tried to update to 8.1, I had to give GeekSquad my Microsoft account information and password, containing all of my personal information and credit card information for them to work on my tablet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

+1 for this reply, I did the upgrade from Windows Store, and i cannot believe that Microsoft want us to reinstall Windows 8 and the re-do the upgrade to 8.1.

I had a thread going on this problem but it got deleted (i originally posted it in the Installation forum, but could not see a way to move it to the Recovery forum, so i re-posted it in the recovery forum (apparently not allowed), So i posted a question on how to move it to the correct forum and it was moved, but i lost the original question...?

Anyway i have been trying all the suggestions on the forums, Made an image with recimg and still in the Create a recovery Drive tool  The option to copy the recovery partition is still greyed out, according to the Microsoft tutorial on doing this it should be available.

Microsoft seem to be pushing genuine users to download the 8.1 iso from non genuine sites just so users will be able to Refresh/Restore theit PC;s.

I gather that Microsoft are offering to post the 8.1 iso for $199.00  seems very excessive price to me.
cheers

Who Cares who wins

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i reinstall Windows 8 and the re- upgrade to 8.1.  now is all ok

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i reinstall Windows 8 and the re- upgrade to 8.1.  now is all ok

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Were you able to keep your files (documents, photos, videos, and programs), or did you have to backup and reinstall all of those?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just went through this. It's pretty much the same experience since Vista/7:

• Install a fresh Windows 8 that will create a Windows.old directory containing the entirety of the previous installation.
  • Copy User items (Documents, Videos, Music, Desktop, from old to new folders manually (you may have a bunch of broken shortcuts...)
  • Run Windows Update for about 70 updates, reboot
  • upgrade to windows 8.1 (via the Windows Store)
  • start reinstalling programs

It's perhaps a bit more polite, but it's fundamentally not much different from Windows Vista/7. You're going to spend an entire afternoon doing this. Yay Windows growing pains.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 3, 2020 Views 12,133 Applies to: