Error 0x8007051a during attempt at system restore on Windows 8.1 64 bit

Bought the windows 8 upgrade online from MS in Oct 2012 and upgraded from OEM windows 7 system.  Upgraded again in Oct 2013 to windows 8.1   Started experiencing some OS problems and attempted system restore to earlier time and got the following error message  0x8007051a "an unspecified error occurred during system restore" and the consequence was I couldn't restore to an earlier time.  I attempted to do a refresh my pc but was asked to insert media as there were files missing.  Tried inserting a disk I had made when I had windows 8 and it would not work.    I have the product key from the online windows 8 download I purchased and the product key for the free 8.1 upgrade I did this Oct but I have been reluctant to go to the next step of reinstalling windows option in case either of these product keys  don't work. Any suggestions???

DAD954

Answer
Answer

Hi Sandy,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the kate reply.

Thank you for replying with more information regarding this issue.

First of all, make sure that you have disconnected all the external devices other than mouse and keyboard and then try to perform System Restore and check.

I would suggest you to create an installation media from a different Windows 8.1 computer and perform refresh and check if it helps.

Step 1: Create an installation Media for Windows 8.1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Step 2: Perform Refresh your PC:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Disclaimer: Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Please reply with the status of the issue, so that we could help you sort out the issue.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2021 Views 11,057 Applies to: