Question

Driver Power State Failure (BSOD) after Windows 8.1 Installation

Saulo Sobanski asked on

Hello,

I've just bought a brand new laptop and it came with a Trial Version of Windows 8.1. I was able to play some games and work with video editing without no problems. Two days after that, I bought a license and updated the system to the Full Version of Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bits, but after that I had some problems because the system was not able to recognize my dedicated graphics card. I uninstalled all the drivers and updated them all, one by one. But then, after almost a week, my laptop is still showing several BSODs with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error, mostly when I try to execute a program that uses a lot of my graphics card (Nvidia GT 730m), like Sony Vegas 12, Photoshop and games. I'm having more than 4 BSODs per day, and I'm really worried because the laptop is less then a week old.

Here's the minidump files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bdnb0j5tdvmd3tm/dmp.zip

Hope you guys can help me!

15 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

Hi,

All of the attached DMP files are of the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f) bug check.

This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

By default, the fault of the crashes is pci.sys which is NOT the true cause of the crashes.

If we run an !irp on the 4th parameter of the bug check, we get the following:

>[ 16, 2]   0 e1 ffffe00004983040 00000000 fffff80352f93d80-ffffe00006d5a110 Success Error Cancel pending
           \Driver\nvlddmkm    nt!PopRequestCompletion

^^ nVidia video driver.

Ensure you have the latest video card drivers. If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue. If you have already experimented with the latest video card driver and many previous versions, please give the beta driver for your card a try.

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress