Consistent BSOD (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) waking up from "sleep"

I have an Acer Aspire V3-772G that is consistently crashing when waking up from sleep mode.

The error message I receive is "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED".

I recently updated to windows 8.1 and after updating I was encountering the BSOD intermittently to begin with but the frequency with which I am encountering it has increased.

Windows Troubleshooter has identified issues with Bluetooth Audio Device, Virtual Bluetooth Support, Bluetooth LWFLT Device, and PnP Device. I have included the Troubleshooter Report. I ran the automated repair tool but the issues remain unresolved.

I recently installed Autodesk Inventor 2013 and 2014 which I believe are known to conflict with Windows 8.1 but I have updated to the current service packs and both programs appear to run without issues.

System Specs from Speccy

Operating System

Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 4xxx @ 2.20GHz 45 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Acer VA70_HW (U3E1) 48 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
Storage
111GB INTEL SSDMCEAC120B3A (SSD) 50 °C
931GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 (SATA) 36 °C
Optical Drives
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
PIONEER BD-RW BDRTD03RT
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

MSinfo32

Minidumps

Answer
Answer

Hi,

All of the attached DMP files are of the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) bug check.

This indicates that a critical system process died.

3: kd> !process ffffe0000427e240 3
GetPointerFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80047bc3000
PROCESS ffffe0000427e240
    SessionId: none  Cid: 0248    Peb: 7ff630f59000  ParentCid: 0240
    DirBase: 105841000  ObjectTable: ffffc00001a4dd80  HandleCount: <Data Not Accessible>
    Image: csrss.exe

^^ The process is csrss.exe which is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem; Win32.sys is the kernel-mode portion. Csrss stands for Client/Server Run-Time Subsystem, and is an essential subsystem that must be running at all times. Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and implementing some portions of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.

In other words, something is causing corruption and is driving this process to unexpectedly be killed. Detective work will be necessary, as with most if not all 0xEF bug checks.

-----------------

1. Remove and replace McAfee with Windows 8's built-in Windows Defender for temporary troubleshooting purposes:

McAfee removal - http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Windows Defender (how to turn on after removal) - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21962-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

2. Update your Bluetooth drivers via Acer's website - http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2019 Views 1,866 Applies to: