CHKDSK running for 2 days at 11%

Hello. I'm a bit of an IT noob here so please don't go too hard on me.

The problem that prompted me to run chkdsk was when my computer started to freeze up a lot, especially when I tried to multitask (like switching to a separate window). It probably took ten minutes each time for the computer to unfreeze and continue. This problem seemed to have started after updating in Windows Update and rebooting.

Prior to this incident, the in-built 'Lenovo Solution Center' software ran a diagnostic test, and said that the laptop failed the SMART short-self test. I didn't think much of it at the time since my laptop (Lenovo s230u laptop) is only 5-months old. In desperation (and stupidity), I typed the chkdsk /r command in command prompt and asked it to run at reboot. Apparently the SMART short self test is a physical problem rather than a software problem, so obviously chkdsk is not going to help.

chkdsk has been running for about two days now which is clearly too long for a 500gb HDD laptop. I've only used about half of this space too. 

So my question is: What is the best course of action here? Should I force shut-down the computer? Will this damage the laptop further? What should I do after that?

Or should I just let CHKDSK continue and hope the process actually finishes? Are there alternative options?

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

All of the information you've provided (thanks by the way for the details) implies your hard disk is failing. If the laptop is under warranty, contact Lenovo and request the be replaced (be sure to back up any relevant data that you'd like before-hand). If it's no longer under warranty, you'll need to replace the hard drive yourself.

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2020 Views 600 Applies to: