Question

BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER caused by ntoskrnl.exe

RigidMoose asked on

Hey everyone!

I'm currently having a BSOD that happens usually once a day randomly. My computer will freeze up completely (it's kind of funny really, it sounds like a Gameboy having a game cartridge pulled out) and then restarts. I unfortunately cannot say if anything specific causes it; I could be doing something completely random like playing League of Legends, opening up Spotify, or browsing the internet. Thankfully, this does not occur extremely frequently, but it is enough to bother me.

The error is always BAD_POOL_HEADER and according to BlueScreenView, it is caused by ntoskrnl.exe (and the internet says this could be a variety of issues). It also is always at the address ntoskrnl.exe+14dac0. The most recent crash was interestingly caused by tcpip.sys at address tcpip.sys+14b770, with the same error BAD_POOL_HEADER. All of these have a bug check code of 0x00000019.

Here are the 4 dump files:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B627E3E95B12B7D6!1216&authkey=!AGCP9VTHIF3VFdk&ithint=folder%2c

Also, I suppose I should share my specs. I built this computer about a year ago.

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45

Processor: i5-3570k Note: I am overclocking this with the motherboard's OC Genie tool, but I don't recall having this problem before when I did a clean install of Windows 7/8/8.1 a few months ago. This is a fairly recent problem.

Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 680

RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB

Network Card: ASUS PCE-n15

Also, I've all the most recent/proper drivers for everything installed. I forgot to install chipset drivers and whatnot recently, so I did that too but the exact same problem persisted. So I'm not sure what's going on really. Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

Apologies if I am not punctual in responding. I am incredibly busy with Calculus-based Physics homework. 

12 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Patrick Barker replied on

Hi,

Before I analyze/debug your crash dumps, can you please go ahead and clear the CMOS so the Auto-OC is undone and at stock settings? It's very likely that the overclock is unstable, and overclocking tools that auto-overclock (even ones from manufacturers themselves such as Asus) are known to not be stable.

If at stock settings you are still crashing, I would be happy to take a look at your crash dumps!

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.
5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
RigidMoose replied on

Update! I would have responded last night, but I felt it was a better idea to wait for another day of use, since the bluescreen would usually happen after a few hours of use.

I'm happy to say that I believe that has solved my issue! Instead of automatically overclocking I'll look up some tutorials on how to manually do that eventually.

HOWEVER, interestingly, when I came back from running earlier, after using my computer for a few seconds, it froze up! It did not bluescreen, however. I checked the Event Viewer for anything peculiar and didn't find anything.

I believe it could have been where i temporarily overclocked my GPU for a bit to test performance in one of my games. So I'm reverting that to see how things go.

Thanks so much though! :)

12 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress