Windows 8.1 - Can't trust device/verify identity

Hi,

This problem began after restoring my machine from the 8.1 preview back to 8 (using the built-in restore tools). It hasn't gone away though since upgrading to official 8.1.

I need to verify my identity on my PC to allow syncing of settings etc. however it does not work.

In the 8.1 PC Settings, the message shows 'You need to verify your identity on this PC' and has a 'Verify' button below...the button does nothing.

If I log into my Microsoft Account online, I'm always prompted for a security code.

And if I use the 'trust this device' option, it takes me to a webpage which gives me a URL to visit on the machine to be trusted...I'm already on the machine and the link just shows me the same page.

I tried using the 'remove all trusted devices' link in my online account page, but this doesn't seem to of helped/done anything.

Can anyone offer any help?

P.S. I'm here as I want help and I value the support of the community, however I have visited these forums many times and can almost guarantee what the first reply will be, so just to help anyone wanting to help me please do not post links to Microsoft/Windows FAQ's on 'Trusting Devices' or 'Verifying Accounts'. These do not help. They aren't in-depth and do not cover this problem at all.

Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2019 Views 26,016 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

i tried this and it worked. you must provide a second email address and verify your account with the security code. You have to use a different browser and login into your microsoft account. since IE is blocked or on a different computer, go to security and verify the account. once you have provide the security code, go to the windows 8.1 computer and restart it, connect to the internet and check if IE works.

hi there ,, I was having the same problem & it bothers me much BUT finally I solve it :)

here you go :

1 - go to PC setting

2 - go to accounts

3 - press "verify" button

4 - on the down left press "cancel updates"

5 - now another e-mail address will appear as a back up address, if you added it before,

then press " OK " button on down

6 - your code will be sent to that another e-mail

7 - enter the code & that's it ( SOLVED )

another way

1 - go to PC setting

2 - go to accounts

3 - press "disconnect" button

now you will change your account to LOCAL

4 - enter your e-mail from Windows Apps

5 - enter your e-mail & password 

6 - now another e-mail address will appear as a back up address, if you added it before,

then press " OK " button on down

7 - your code will be sent to that another e-mail

8 - enter the code & that's it ( SOLVED )

finally I hope that's help you & sorry if I miss something

Best wishes

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.