"Some Settings are managed by your system administrator", Windows 8.1, notifications, No policy, Never setup, Only user on personal computer

Hi,

I am running Windows 8.1 x64 on a fresh install.
I am the only user and this is a personal computer
I am the Admin

I am having some troubles with my windows 8.1.

Shortly after I setup Mail, Calendar, People I found that my notification settings (Windows Desktop-> Right side menu -> Change PC settings -> Search & apps-> notifications) are all grayed out with red text above saying that my settings are managed by a system admin.

Here's the thing, this is a personal computer. There is no system admin besides me and I never set this up,

I have tried many different things to solve this such as,

Removing Accounts associated with Mail, People, Calendar

Uninstalling and Reinstalling Mail, People, Calendar

Uninstalling and Restarting

Restart (Many many times)

Windows App store troubleshooter (Toast Notifications disabled by system admin)
Editing registry key notoastnotifications under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/PushNotifications and while this did remove the red "managed by admin" and opened the selections, attempting to slide the button to on failed as the button would return to off the moment I let it go.

System Restore (Worked for a time but returned)

Format hard drive and reinstall windows

Nothing I try works and Microsoft has been no help as I have just spent the last little while trying to get the tech to understand that I'm not having trouble with my mail inbox but rather my global PC settings.

Please help, I have looked it up online but it seems that most cases are in regards to windows 7 and Internet settings.

**Going into individual apps and attempting to change settings that way also do not work as it too is grayed out with the msg "Some settings are managed by the system admin"

Question Info

Last updated September 9, 2019 Views 35,549 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, sorry I was without Internet for the last few days.

After playing around I found out it was bit-defender anti-virus plus 2015, as your suggestion I removed it and found the notifications restored on restart.

Playing around with it for awhile I figured out it was the profile setting in bit-defender. When using profiles such as for gaming, movies etc it limited notifications.

Odd thing is I started my computer in safe mode before and it still was disabled, I wasn't aware bitdefender settings ran in safe mode.

Thanks for the help, out of everything I would not have considered bitdefender causing this.

For now I have disabled profiles and it does not seem to impair my system.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

I appreciate the efforts which you took to get the issue resolved.

I understand the frustration when things don’t work as expected.

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Communities.

This issue can occur if a certain group policy blocks the access to Windows Update or could be due to third party security software.

Let's try to narrow down to see what exactly is causing this issue and try to fix it:

Method 1: If you have installed any third party security software on your computer, I would suggest you to un-install it and check. You may refer to the following link to un-install the security program.

Uninstall, change or repair a program

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/uninstall-change-program

You may contact the technical support of the Security program to un-install the software.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect the computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable/un-install the antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable/un-install it to install other software, you should re-enable/re-install it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time the antivirus software is disabled/un-installed, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Do not perform Method 2, if Method 1 resolves the issue. You can try Method 2 if Method 1 does not work.

Method 2: If you are using Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise edition of Window 8, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Press Windows Key + R.
  • Type gpedit.msc and hit Enter.
  • Navigate to Computer Configuration-> Administrative Templates -> Windows Component -> Windows Update.

Make sure the states of all setting are Not Configured.

• Now, navigate to Computer Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> System-> Internet Communication Management-> Internet Communication settings.

Make sure the state of “Turn off access to all Windows Update features” is Not Configured.

If the issue persist, try to check if you are able to access windows update settings built-in windows administrator account.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

• Press Windows Key + X.
  • Select Command prompt (Admin).
  • Type the following command to enable built-in admin account:
  • net user administrator /active: yes

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.