How can I turn off the requirement for sign-in password on Win 8.1 PC's

I know this is possible because I had successfully turned off the requirement for use of password every time I turn on my computer....with Windows 8.  But that was some time ago and now I've lost my print out of the instructions from the forum and, of course I've forgotten how.   Now....after being constantly bugged by a Microsoft pop-up urging me to go to the "store" and update to Win 8.1 I finally succumbed.  It pretty much works OK except that NOW I am again required to enter my password every darn time I turn the computer on.  I want to be able to push the button to turn it on.....walk away to do other things....and then come back to my PC waiting and ready to be used.  I hate that blasted password.

I have no secrets on either of my Win 8.1 PC's and anyway.....I am the only one that uses them.  The kids have been gone for years and the grandchildren are all out on their own.  No one here but me and my bride of 57 yrs.   PLEASE someone.   How do I turn off the requirement to enter a password just to start using my own computer??????

Thank you in advance.       Phil
Answer
Answer

Hi Phil,

I can definitely help you with this issue. To prevent Windows 8.1 from displaying the login password screen when it boots, you can set your account for auto-logging. This means that you can set your account in such a way that when the computer boots, it directly logs into your account without asking for any login password.

To do this, you may follow these instructions and let us know the result.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “Q” keys on the keyboard and type “netplwiz” in the search box and press “Enter”.

b)       On the “User Accounts” page, select the option “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” and select the user for which you would like to set auto-login and then uncheck the option “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” again.

c)        Click on “Apply” and then “Ok”.

d)       Enter and re-enter the password for the account, if prompted and click on “Ok”.

e)       Restart the computer and check if the computer is logging directly into the user account automatically.

Note: Please be aware that this option will enable automatic login. So, please use this option only on your personal computer which is not accessed by others.

Hope this is helpful. Please get back to us with the results.
Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2020 Views 22,505 Applies to: