Family Safety Curfew option no longer available

I have just logged into the family safety website to find it has all changed.  There used to be an option to set the times of day that my sons pc could be used, this option no longer appears on the updated website.  How am I supposed to set the times he can and cant use his computer.  This was a great feature that allowed us to set when using the computer was not a good idea ie dinner time or homework time.  How can I set the times again?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you would like to set up the time for your son’s PC.

The Family Safety Curfew option has been changed to Screen time on the updated website.

I suggest you to refer the below Microsoft link on how to set up the Screen time for your son’s PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/set-pc-limits

Reference: Refer the below Microsoft help article to check for the changes made in Microsoft Family.

https://account.microsoft.com/family/faq/

I hope the above information help you to set up the Screen time for son’s PC. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

What he is saying is: The new interface is some what useless... example, with the old system you could set up multiple times during the day when his/her child could or could not use the PC, now there is only one length of time that can be restricted per day, making this option almost useless. On top of that you cant permit usage after midnight???  Say you want to allow your teenage child to use the PC up until 1AM guess what you cant...  Do you guys even test your software before forcing on your customers?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Microsoft article states:

"Select times during each day that you want to allow your child to use their devices,"

You cannot select "TIMES" just 1 single time period!!  Useless!!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What a brilliant change has been made! MS removed the option that is essential for parental control of PC use. What a talents are working on a project? I believe, they do not have kids and finally loosing common sense at all...

Most of FS users now have to use other products and (un)fortunately leave MS "account"...

And please, Kiran, when answering, go to point directly and don't think the rest of world is stupid.

Best Regards,

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your response, however  the option to " Block device use at specific times " does not appear on the new interface.  It used to prior to the change.  how can I get this option available to me?

FYI my sons account is a local account, but it always has been - which worked up until the change.  These changes are for the worse not the better!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

These changes do not allow you to set multiple times per day just a time period and then an amount within that period. We need to be able to set multiple times again per account. I have 3 kids accounts on my desktop and now it is free for all because the time limits they hadn't don't work. 

Before we had 3 different times per kid they could use the computer, now we can't and will have to manage it using different software. I have heard good things about Norton so I guess we will be moving onto that software. Next time you want to implement changes ask family users how they use the software. These changes don't even work if the computer isn't being shared. How can we now block dinner times so that nobody can be on a device then but allow them on afterwards. It is easy if you a compliant child, but some have kids that say "in in the midle of a game, I can't leave now or I will get banned". When the curfew slammed down on them without any intervention from us the parents it meant no arguments, the kids learnt to schedule their games around the limits. This has been taken away from us with these changes. 

You have gone from a brilliant system that worked beautifully to a complete failure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm very disappointed with the changes made to the time restriction features in the Family Safety tool.  Previously I could set it so my kids could have an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.  Now with "Screentime" it's only a single from-to time period per day.  Way to hobble your product and reduce it's usefulness.  Microsoft could not be so lame as to have done this by omission.  Is it part of a plan to encourage users onto another solution as this one no longer works?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft please take note of the many parents posting on this issue on multiple threads on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

The ability to set multiple blocks of time per day was THE key functionality for many parents

please restore this function urgently

As far as i can tell by the MS replies on most threads MS do not actually understand what they have done. Many people have posted this problem but MS replies to not address the problem.

MS please restore urgently....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The new interface in (Screen Time) does not allow the same control used to be in the (CurFew) option. I cannot allow two time-intervals per day.  Please, Microsoft, stop making stupid decisions on our behalf and put back the old CurFew option.  Once the CurFew is back, you can remove the (Screen Time) option safely. Trust me no one will use it :P

--sultan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello other parents

If anyone finds a suitable replacement product could they post the info here

I don't mind a product I have to pay for

Microsoft clearly don't care about this - they just ignore the posts by many parents on multiple threads

If anyone can find a product that allows multiple time periods per day please post the details

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2018 Views 574 Applies to: