Action Center not Functioning Properly

This applies to windows 8.1 Action Center. And the new update is not responsible.

My Action Center states that my virus protection is turned off, both Windows Defender and Norton AV and IS are off. When I get prompted to turn one of them on nothing is displayed, things load for a second and nothing happens. Status for both are still "off."

I know for a fact that Norton was on hours before I got the message. And Ive scanned for viruses and nothing. Is this a bug on the Action Center side?

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2019 Views 786 Applies to:

You can still scan with an anti virus program even if real time protection is turned off.

I might start by uninstalling Norton and seeing if you can turn on Windows Defender. Then create a Restore Point.  If you prefer using Norton, try installing it and see if you hit the same issue. Keep in mind that you have to do reboot after this install and in my case with a different anti virus program, I had to reboot twice after installation and I had to reinstall after upgrading to Windows 8.1.

Third party anti virus products are touchy items. Follow it through step by step and if you don't get results, call the Norton support line as they are the ones most familiar with Norton installation issues.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team.

There are certain cases where Windows Action Center incorrectly reports that the Norton product is turned off. As long as the Norton product shows a green tick with the Secure tag, you do not need to worry about it. For more information, read: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v81754387_EndUserProfile_en_us

I am not sure whether the tool mentioned in the KB article will work in this case as you have Windows 8.1. If the tool does not work or if the problem persists even after running the tool, please try the following steps:

1. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

regsvr32 /u WMIUTILS.DLL

3. Click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

5. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

6. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

regsvr32 WMIUTILS.DLL

7. Click OK.

8. Restart the computer.

Please let me know if that helps!

Thanks!

Vineeth

Norton Support

Sorry this didn't help.

Since Norton is aware of this problem, why doesn't Norton FIX the problem, instead of making people jump through hoops to resolve the problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

The solution to this issue and other Security Software issues is to uninstall all 3rd party Security (Particularly Norton, and McAfee), go to their web site and Download and run their Removal tool, then make sure Windows Defender and Firewall are on. This will give more than all the protection you will need and it is free. Hope this helps and if you need further assistance post and we will be glad to assist you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." -John Muir

Sorry this didn't help.