access to installed game software with Parental Controls enabled on windows 8.1

I am running windows 8.1 on a surface pro. I recently activated the parental controls feature and during setup  added 2 separate child accounts for my kids.  When they log in to each of their accounts they cannot access any of the existing game software programs that were installed prior to enabling the parental controls program. My question is do I have to reinstall the programs under each of their accounts for them to have access? Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Bill,

You have allow access to games and desktop applications from the Family Safety settings, so that the child account users can access these applications. Log in to the parent user account and follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + W, type ‘Family Safety’ and press enter.
  2. Click on ‘Family safety’ tile and the Family Safety settings page will open.
  3. Click on the child user account and click on ‘Desktop app restrictions’.
  4. Check against the game apps that you want to allow.
  5. Ask the child account user to sign out of the account and sign in again and check.

Try these steps and let us know the results.

Cheers,
Ben.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response.  My issue is the game software does not appear in the list of available applications even though the 2 programs are installed on my hard drive.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am running windows 8.1 on a surface pro. I recently activated the parental controls feature and added 2 separate child accounts for my kids.  When they log in to their accounts they cannot access any of the existing game software that was installed prior to enabling the parental controls program. When I access the ‘App restrictions’ from the ‘Family Safety’ settings page the game software programs do not appear on the list. Let me know how to correct this. Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bill,

Was the desktop app restriction set as ‘Child account can use all apps’ or ‘Child account can use only the app I allow’ earlier?

I would suggest you to set the Desktop app restriction to ‘Child can use all app’ and then restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to change the family safety settings to be managed from the Family safety website and check. Log in to the parent account and try these steps:

3. In the Family Safety page, click on the option ‘manage settings on the Family Safety website’.
  4. Connect to your family safety parental account then allow all the apps in app restrictions.

Try these steps and let us know the results.

Cheers,
Ben.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried your steps but still no access to the installed game software.  Do I have any other support options to try and get this resolved?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bill,

Are you able to launch these games? Do you face any other issues with these games?

I would suggest you to reinstall the games from the administrator parent account and then check if the issue persists.

Cheers,
Ben.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bill, please confirm if the following are correct:

1. You are running Windows 8.1 on MS Surface Pro.

2. You installed games from your own account, which I assumed it's an administrator account.

3. You activated Parental Controls feature.

4. You created two new Child Windows accounts for your children.

5. Your children logged into their account and can't find the games.

Questions:

1. Did you have any other accounts, besides your accounts, before you activated Parental controls? And did these accounts were able to access the games you installed?

2. Did you install the games from the Windows Store from your own Windows Account? If I'm correct, I believe that when installing games from the Windows Store, the games are installed as Per User and not as All Users; therefore, the game will not exist for other accounts on your Surface device.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, items 1-5 are all correct. I was the only account prior to activating parental controls and yes I was able to access the installed games.  I purchased and downloaded both games from the software manufacturer's web sites; Minecraft and Pokémon Trading card game.  Please let me if there are steps I can take to resolve the problem. Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bill,

You can also try adding the program manually to the list of blocked applications and then unblock it and check. Refer to these steps:

3. Click on the child user account and click on ‘Desktop app restrictions’.
  4. Click on ‘Child can use only the apps I allow’ and then click on ‘browse’ button on the bottom.
  5. Locate the executable file for that game from the installed location to add that game to the list.
  6. Restart the computer, unblock the game and check.

If the issue persists, you can try reinstalling one of the game and check as I suggested earlier.

Cheers,
Ben.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bill, when you install these games, do you recall if you installed them as "All Users" or just for your account only?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 1,394 Applies to: