Windows 8.1 Can't Sign in to your Microsoft account

Hello,

Here is the background info: Have an HP Stream Laptop that initially ran Windows 8...then 8.1...then I upgraded to Windows 10.  Only ran into problems when Windows 10 was running out of memory and failed to do updates.  So I wiped everything clean and did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 (where I want to keep it).  Because my original machine was Windows 8 (with bing) - I couldn't get my product key to go with the version of Windows 8.1 downloaded with the Windows Media Creation tool.  Long story short - I installed 8.1 with a generic key and Microsoft was able to help get me activated.  

I got everything installed and did all of the updates.  The last things on my list was to sign in with my Microsoft Account.  It was only showing me as a Local User and every time I try to sign in to my Microsoft Account... I get this message "Sorry, we couldn't connect to Microsoft services right now.  If this problem persists, search for "network problems" on the Start screen."

I've researched this as much as I can and have tried to fix it as much as I can (with no avail).  I have tried to do all of the service.msc stuff.  I have downloaded and ran the Account Troubleshooter...which told me that I needed to sign in to my account on my computer...duh....I've called Microsoft and they couldn't figure it out either? I don't have any network/internet connection problems - since I can do all updates, can get online, etc. Any thoughts?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 8.1 / Install, upgrade, & activate / Other

Hi,

There's a possibility that your Microsoft account was not yet added on your PC that's why you're unable to login using your credentials or possible that your PC has been configured to use a proxy server which may have blocked you from switching to your Microsoft account. For us to verify this, we suggest that you create a Microsoft account on your PC using your Microsoft credentials. Follow these steps:

1. Open Settings, then click Accounts.
  2. In the left pane, click Other User Accounts, then click Add an account.
  3. Enter your Microsoft credentials.
  4. Hit Finish, then sign out.
  5. Once done, try to sign in to the Microsoft account that you've added and see if you can log in.

If you've already tried the above steps, then we would like to ask for a screenshot of the page where you get the message Sorry, we couldn't connect to Microsoft services right now so we can further check on it.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

It seems that your Microsoft account was not yet added on your PC that's why you're unable to login using your credentials. For us to verify this, we suggest that you create a Microsoft account on your PC using your Microsoft credentials. Follow these steps:

5. Once done, try to sign in to the Microsoft account that you've added and see if you can log in.

Let us know the result.

Regards.

I can not sign in Microsoft account. And I try all the tricks provided by Microsoft.When I try to Connect Microsoft account It seems to notwork problem on the start screen although I have internet connection. And there is no problem to access internet in anywhere except to switching Microsoft account. A screen shot is given to understand the problem clearly.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I have the exact same problem.

The connection to internet is working perfect and I still have this problem.

Please tell us what is happening.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. I had to reinstall my computer to the original windows 8.1 after an update for the windows insider programme went south. I didn't even get the opportunity to go back to a restore point. since i reinstalled my windows 8.1 i can't connect to my microsoft account, which is a real pain in the ... because most of my data is stored on onedrive. as you know there is no convenient way to reach onedrive in 8.1 except to log in to windows with a microsoft account and configure the app from there.

proposed solutions that were given untill now don't give any result. please advise

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem on a Surface 3 with Windows 8.1 that I reinstalled yesterday.

It's exactly the same if I try to connect my actual local account to my Microsoft account or if I try to add an account, I always have one of the messages shared above.

I remember than when I was reinstalling the system yesterday I didn’t choose to create a local account at first, but inserted my MS login data in one of the first steps of the reinstall. But right at the end of the process, I was forced to create a local account.

I’ve tried also to add a new account in a Surface with Windows RT 8.1, where my wife is logged with her MS account and have had the same answer.

In both machines I also have tried to create new MS accounts, and have had the same error.

I’ve tried in another PC with Windows 10 pro, and there I have had absolutely no problems in adding a new account and even in create a new one.

It’s a really annoying issue, as I can’t work with this machine until the problem is fixed…

Regards

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

There's a possibility that your Microsoft account was not yet added on your PC that's why you're unable to login using your credentials or possible that your PC has been configured to use a proxy server which may have blocked you from switching to your Microsoft account. For us to verify this, we suggest that you create a Microsoft account on your PC using your Microsoft credentials. Follow these steps:

If you've already tried the above steps, then we would like to ask for a screenshot of the page where you get the message Sorry, we couldn't connect to Microsoft services right now so we can further check on it.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards.

Hello,

When I do steps 1-5, I get the same results after step 4.  

Here is what I suspect.  When I reformatted my system (which was Windows 8.1 with Bing), I installed the only version of Windows (8.1 Home - without Bing) available.  Since my product key (with Bing) didn't work (on the without Bing) version - I had to use a generic product key just to complete the installation.  Since the product key gets entered prior to installation - I suspect that the generic product key alters the installation process and never allows me to sign-in with my Microsoft Account at installation.  I suspect this is where the problem lies.  

To fix this - I then tried to retrieve the "new" product key that Microsoft entered for me in order to activate Windows through PowerShell (since Microsoft wouldn't tell me the new "key" they used).  I retrieved the key and tried to reformat with it - however, low and behold that product key didn't work either! 

Grrrrrrrr.......

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problemmes.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, my Surface 3 run Windows 8.1 pro natively (it's from May 2015), and I haven't had to enter any product key during the reinstall.

I guess the problem is the MS server, it seems that it can accept a login process from a Windows 10 PC and not from a Windows 8.1 machine. By the way, the login process and the creation of a new MS account in Windows 10 (I've used the last build 1703) is actually quite different from the old one in 8.1.

I hope it's just a bug to be resolved soon, as I can't work anymore with my 2 years old Surface 3...

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2024 Views 9,910 Applies to: