How do I change the email address linked to my user name on my pc.

I'm under Windows 8.1.  I am an early novice to Windows 8.1 - and I've been struggling for 6 weeks so far! 

When I log on to the pc, I log on by reference to my user name - let's say Bob.  I enter my password to get going.  However under my name, which appears in big letters on the log on screen, I see that there is also shown my e-mail address, underneath my name and in smaller letters.

Very soon, I will have to change my email address.  The provider of that email facility will be closing down the service very soon.  I cannot find out how I can change this information as part of my User account on my pc.  The pc's User account is, I think ???!, different from the Microsoft user account.  So my questions are simple:

*   How do I change the email address on my pc's user account so that when I seek to log on my pc the new email address is shown?

*  Do I have to also change the email address attached to the Microsoft User account, and if so, how?

*  Can anyone tell me where to find some guidance that might explain what the User account and the Microsoft User account are all about, why they might be important and what they are trying to do, other than confuse people like me....

I am worried about deleting my existing user account because I suspect that I would then not be able to access any files that I have place on my pc...?  

Answer
Answer
Most of your files and folders you wish to save are in your user folders. After you have made your new account open File Explorer, My Computer, c: drive, Users folders. There you should find a listing of Users, 1 with your old user name and another with the new one plus a Public folder. open the old user name and all your folders will be there. Open each folder that has files you wish to move and from your ribbon, select  all, copy, next open your new user name folder, open the folder you want the files that yo copied in and paste. Repeat until all your files are under your new user name. Hope this helps and if you need any further assistance post and we will be glad to help you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

If this answered your post Please mark it as answered.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2020 Views 271 Applies to: