Confusion on Microsoft Passwords

I really do not know how Microsoft stays so popular...they are the most frustrating company, program, OS, I can imagine ever existed!  Yesterday I needed to change the password due to my son being on my computer when I got home.  When I changed the password I received a warning that I may need to also changed linked passwords to other accounts.  I followed some "links" and changed the password in my live.account - however, when I was in my live it told me I could not use a password that I have already used (it was the password I just changed it to, and I was assuming they wanted me to change them all to the same password so I wouldn't get blocked or something - not to mention, I have too many passwords for too many sites that this is practical) in doing all this.  So I thought my Windows logon and my live.com login had two different passwords...seemed to have worked for a while - except I'd get this message that my Windows logon was offline and I needed to enter the last password used - I figured this meant my very last password I used anywhere - some sort of security "smartness" - luckily this worked!  Later come to find out that the password I had to change in live.com is now the password for my Windows logon - this is so confusing and I don't understand what's what with Microsoft...there are too many "connections" with Microsoft to be linking passwords like this...hate to see it later when I log on to my son's Xbox, thank goodness I don't do that too often! 
Answer
Answer
The password for your live.com is supposed to be the password for your Windows logon on your computer.  That's the benefit that they built for Windows 8, after people had been requesting it for many many years.  You can use that password to login to any Windows 8 computer, even someone else's computer.  It's universal now.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2023 Views 363 Applies to: