administrator account changed to guest account

Orginial Title: User for Hotmail.com no longer in users and cannot create new one

I have a laptop and a desktop, both with the same problem, they are both running windows 8.1 Pro.

I recently lost admin to my Hotmail.com user account, for whatever reason it was changed to a guest account. It was the only user account I had.

Now I have no admin right and cannot do anything in the user section without getting the message 'The requested operation requires elevation'.

I am only making changes to my desktop at this time because my laptop is my primary pc.

I will try and explain what I have done and the result.

After looking at solutions to this problem, I went into safe mode and created a administrative user account.

When I logged back into windows, only the admin and a guest account were available.

Attempted to re-create my Hotmail user account and get a message 'An account using this Microsoft account already exists on this PC'

I go to user accounts and it's not there, but I can go to 'regedit' and see several references to the Hotmail.com account. Several of them, I know what they are for but several I don't.

I then created a gmail.com user account and it works fine, but I would like to get my Hotmail.com user account back because all my settings are there.

Is there a way of getting my Hotmail.com to be useable, if not, what Hotmail.com settings do I change in the 'regedit'?

I've seen posts where people have worked on similar problems for hours, well I'm ashamed to say that I've been trying to get my Hotmail.com user account for days. Many of the posts were similar to my problem but unfortunately none of the fixes worked for me.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi Ranger801,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I appreciate you for your efforts to resolve the issue and thank you for the detailed description.

• Is your computer boot to the desktop using the new administrator user account?

If the computer boots to the desktop using the new administrators, please follow the suggestions that are mentioned in method 1 and check if you are able to remove the Microsoft account.

Method 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b) Type netplwiz and press Enter.

c) If you see your Hotmail account, click on it and click on Remove.

d.) Restart your computer to apply the changes once the account is removed.

After Reboot please try to create Microsoft Account. Please refer to the article below.

Create a user account (refer: Create a Microsoft account)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ajay, thanks for the prompt reply.

I did Method 1, and removed my hotmail.com user account.

Restarted the computer, checked netplwiz and the hotmail.com account was gone.

Tried creating the hotmail.com user account as per instructions and at the end a quick message comes up 'adding account', then the message 'An account using this Microsoft account already exists on this pc'. Rebooted and tried again with the same result.

I then went to the link you provided for creating user account.Create a Microsoft account

Then clicked on  Microsoft accounts troubleshooter at the bottom of page and was told that a message would be sent to my email to confirm that the account was mine. I never received an email.

Then created a outlook.com account, it appears to work the same as hotmail.com because everything is the same, at least in emails, entered the code from Microsoft that was received in my email and it worked but after a while a pop up titled 'Restore could not be completed' with the verbiage 'We weren't able to copy your settings over from OneDrive. Try going to the accounts section of pc settings, disconnect your Microsoft account from pc and then add it again.,

After disconnecting from pc, I was told that I would have to log in as a local user, so I set it up.

A message at the end of the setup said 'We're sorry, but something went wrong. Your Microsoft account wasn't changed to a local account.

Code: 0x80004005'

Hope my explanation of what I tried is not too confusing and if it is we can go step by step. This problem is driving me nuts.

Thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for replying back.

Generally we get the error code 0x80004005 when we don’t have sufficient privileges to perform the requested operation. So I would suggest you to log in as administrator and then try doing the same.

You can try out these methods and check if it help.

Method 1:Disable Proxy Connection

If you use any proxy connection, then follow the steps to disable proxy.

1. Click the Gearbox at the top right corner in Internet Explorer.
  2. Click the tools button, and then click Internet Options.
  3. Click the Connection tab, and then click LAN settings.
  4. Uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN box.
  5. Click Ok.

Method 2: Verify that the date and time settings on your computer are correct
To verify that your computer is configured with the correct date and time settings, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows Logo + "X" and click on Control Panel.
  2. Click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click Date and Time.
  3. Click the Date & Time tab.
  4. Make sure that the date and time settings are configured to use the current date and time. Click on Internet Time tab, click on change settings and make sure that server is times.windows.com.
  5. Click on ok to exit.
  6. Restart the computer to apply the changes.

Note: After restart try to convert Microsoft Account to Local Account and check if still you are getting same error: 0x80004005.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ajay,

Checked methods 1 & 2 and they were both set as required.

Before restart checked Microsoft account and it was already a local account.

Restarted anyway and now logs in but with no updates attempt.

Could it be that OneDrive does not have the required information to update the account?

I don't want to go astray, my original problem and still my problem is that I cannot create my original Hotmail.com account, because every time I attempt to create I get the message 'An account using this Microsoft account already exists on this PC'.

I've deleted the account as you had requested previously.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the late replay.

It's unfortunate that the troubleshooting steps provided in my earlier post didn't help to fix the issue.

I would suggest you to follow the below Method and check if it helps

Method 1: How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC

Note: If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished.

Warning: Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 7, 2021 Views 1,481 Applies to: