Windows Photo Viewer doesn't print in color for .JPG or .PNG

Prints are coming out in black and gray. 

Word, Excel, and Paint all print colors ok. 

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community Forums. You have reached the right place. Let us work together to find the root cause of this issue and try resolving it.

This usually happens if print options or preferences are changed for your printer. To choose print options, you need to open the picture that you want to print. Most print options are located in the Print dialog box, which you can access from the File menu in the program that you're using. The options that are available to you will depend on the program and the printer that you're using.

To access some options, you might need to click on "Options" or "Advanced Options" link, button, or tab within the Print dialog box. To find out more about print options for a program, refer to the information for the program.

Print options that are determined by your printer capabilities are called printing preferences, and can include double-sided printing, separator pages, color or image quality options, and staples. Like program options, printing preferences are displayed in the Print dialog box. Look for buttons labeled "Preferences" or "Properties." You can choose preferences each time you print a picture or set default preferences to use for all the pictures that you send to a printer.

Post us the results after you try the above steps.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply.  You helped to find the problem. 

It appears that somehow Windows Photo Viewer saves its own copy of printer options. 

There was a time when the color cartridges on my printer started getting low.  So I decided to try to print in "black only" temporarily, until I could get the color cartridges replaced. 

I changed the option in the preferences for my printer, where I had done it before. 

I must have printed something with Windows Photo Viewer while it was set this way, and Windows Photo Viewer must have saved its own copy of the printer options, because when I replaced the color cartridges and changed the option back in the preferences for my printer, other programs, such as Word and Paint, printed in color properly, but Windows Photo Viewer kept on printing in "black only", until I changed the printer options in Windows Photo Viewer itself.  Then it started printing in color again. 

I think this is pretty amazing.   

I have a screenshot that shows the printer option set two different ways simultaneously.  If you would like to see it, please give me somewhere that I can upload it to. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 8,734 Applies to: