Need help to choose the Media Player to play the multimedia

Original Title: Windows Media Player

I have Windows 8.1 operating system, But I dont like the Windows Media Player that is recommended. Can an earlier more simplified version be used?
I'm an aging veteran who likes to keep things simple and the new version of Media Player is anything but simple. I cant create a simple playlist without all the Album art not to mention all the music is listed as Albums.  HELP!

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2018 Views 1,697 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sorry, but none of the previous versions can be installed in either Windows 8.0/8.1. You can download several different Media Players from the store or from the web such as Cyberlink PowerDVD or VLC Media Player.  Hope this helps and if you need any further assistance please post and we will be glad to assist you.

The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees. or any other member of this forum.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe" -John Muir

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

VLC is a good choice.

I have installed K-lite codec pack http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_codec_pack_download.htm and it comes with a "Media Player Classic",  When you get to the association part of the install, choose the classic verson to open your media files.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can skip the K-lite Codec install and download just Media Player Classic here:

http://mpc-hc.org/

The standalone MPC-HC opens just about any type of media file, and has a few more options in it than WMP. And there's a 64 bit version if you want that (the MPC-HC that comes with the K-lite pack is only the 32 bit, even though they include 64 bit codecs). The only thing it doesn't seem to do is open streaming or pre HTML5 embedded videos. If you want that functionality, you can use VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

It too opens just about every format, does streaming too, and also has a 64 bit version. But I find the video on certain types is below par, so I recommend MPC-HC for the highest video quality.

Sorry this didn't help.

It would generally take a couple hundred million computers bursting into flames to equal the general damage to the computing experience done via codec packs.  If there's not a reason to be installing some random code on your system... why are you doing it?  Why are you suggesting it?

I respect that most (not all) codec vendors partially cleaned up their act after I harassed them about it based upon the fact that they were the #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8, and #9 sources of the top ten crashes in multimedia on Windows, including crippling Office.

Net net: please be judicious about recommending codec pack installation.  As much as I appreciated it when codec packs again broke a completely unrelated part of Windows because they just want to install everything under the sun even if it's not good - it's just completely needless, and it's really depressing to me to continue to need to clean up that horrible mess.

If someone is not having problems with codecs, I for one would appreciate it if we could not tell them go install random codec packs.  Which, again, have caused in the hundreds of millions of crashes at this point and crippled completely unrelated products that they had no logical reason for touching whatsoever.  I'd suspect that if I put it to the test I'd find that K-Lite, for example, had done more damage (as measured by crash reports) than some notable percentage of actual outright malware. :\

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you clarify why you believe you cannot create a simply playlist without album art?

In the player library you can right-click upon the "Music" node in the left pane.   You can then choose "Customize Navigation Pane..." and add your other sorting views in.  I for one really like "Contributing Artist" view. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd suspect that if I put it to the test I'd find that K-Lite, for example, had done more damage (as measured by crash reports) than some notable percentage of actual outright malware. :\

If you put it to test? I am afraid you are vilifying a product based on mere assumptions.

And given the word "[MSFT]" in front of your name, I'd say you are the last person on Earth who can expect his assumption to be taken as good judgment. (After all, Microsoft did assume Microsoft Expression, Windows Live and CardSpace would be successful.)

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd suspect that if I put it to the test I'd find that K-Lite, for example, had done more damage (as measured by crash reports) than some notable percentage of actual outright malware. :\

If you put it to test? I am afraid you are vilifying a product based on mere assumptions.

And given the word "[MSFT]" in front of your name, I'd say you are the last person on Earth who can expect his assumption to be taken as good judgment. (After all, Microsoft did assume Microsoft Expression, Windows Live and CardSpace would be successful.)

Thankfully your fears are unfounded.  My concerns with K-Lite and other codec packs are well documented if you want to stalk me: I've had an online presence in the multimedia community for around fifteen years now, and I believe I've had to speak to every codec pack maker indirectly or directly during that time to get them to clean up their garbage.  Since you certainly don't need to take me at face value you are most welcome to inquire directly to the K-Lite team and ask them about their changelog history.  You will find, for one excellently horrible example, fascinating their installation of the broken Morgan Multimedia stream switcher.

Please: you clearly do not need to take my word for it.  Follow up with them.  At one point 7 of the top 10 crashes in multimedia on Windows lead squarely to problems induced by K-Lite.  Follow up with them.  Let there be no doubt in your mind that I in particular have an intense interest in your having an excellent multimedia experience regardless of what tools you use.

Please: again, let there be no doubt in your mind.  I care about you and I care about your system working for you regardless of what product you like or dislike.  If you have any interest in this subject whatsoever go hit up the K-Lite team.  Just the MMSwitch (Morgan Multimedia Stream Switcher) issue I bring up alone caused millions of problems (crashes), and that's just one of the issues they have had to fix up.

So yeah: it's not an assumption, and you are welcome to follow up on this subject.  Blind naïve belief in the infallibility of Codec Packs as a magic panacea is frightening to me, and I would happily encourage you to dig into the terrible history here.   If the current state of the world is not as clearly horrible as it once was (as again you can verify by checking "actual history" and "facts" here)... you're welcome.  I want your multimedia computing experience to rock, and helping clean those packs up unfortunately needed to be a key part of making the ecosystem better and healthier.  <3

Sorry this didn't help.

I found your post: Zachdms has reported on MMSwitch on 13 December 2007 on Doom9 forum. It mentions K-Lite Codec Pack 3.6.2 and earlier. Clsid has quickly responded. (He is K-Lite Codec Pack's developer.) Well, it doesn't seem that bad at all. MMSwitch is quickly deprecated.

In addition, I have tested K-Lite Codec Pack myself and I am aware of its pros and cons; e.g. its incompatibility with Media Foundation, etc. But the biggest problem with it is its complexity, not bugs.

As a former developer and part-time net admin, I do not approve anything without sandbox testing, no matter how brief. But that also means I do not automatically vilify them either. Neutral point of view has become my way. Ad hoc comments like "had done more damage ... than some notable percentage of actual outright malware" have no place in my book.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, it doesn't seem that bad at all.

Sure, anything that isn't happening to you can be treated as "not bad at all".  Bear in mind that this table:

* http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2008/05/21/8525411.aspx

stemmed from my discussion with the author about K-Lite's problems, including MMSwitch, and just MMSwitch alone was notably worse.  And hey look it's a malware/Explorer chart, which should give you a scope to work with here. 

MMSwitch is quickly deprecated.

Might want to check on how many installs they had with the buggy component before popping any champagne here.  Your "quickly" is my "this had to bubble up to be 4 of the top 10 crashes across almost each and every multimedia component across Microsoft AND external multimedia tools, PLUS be a top five crash source for Explorer before someone completely unrelated to their project had to question why they were performing the act of madmen and get them to fix their business."  (Plus the other issues they induced over time.  Their changelists if tracked are very illuminative and disheartening.)  Plus the fact that people are to this day still crashing from this in very large numbers.  Plus or minus we get ignorant people touting codec packs without bothering to think that perhaps some sites have refused to take down their mirrors of known toxic collections because they want that clickbait ad money.  It's really hideous all around.

Anyways, the actions of K-Lite here were noxiously bad and are absolutely indefensible other than through anything but a claim of abject ignorance.  I'm even ignoring the fact (fact) that they stole my code as well in that package.  Stopping tens to hundreds of millions of crashes that K-Lite was causing was my sole goal.  Compute smart.

But the biggest problem with it is its complexity, not bugs.

Naw, the general problem is throwing in a bunch of random components that you can't and aren't vouching for.  A kitchen sink approach to software works poorly if it includes poorly vetted or unvetted software.  Anybody with any knowledge in this sector would have blanched at what they were doing just on technical value alone, let alone ethics.  I've worked on way more complex projects than that without this sort of problem.

But that also means I do not automatically vilify them either. Neutral point of view has become my way.

And it should be clear to you by now that I don't automatically vilify anybody either.  An intelligent and learned point of view is where I hope to come from.  I'm not sure why you would care to interject from a place of ignorance, but I hope these small bits of knowledge have helped open your eyes.  The actions of XXXX and XXXX have set the multimedia community back decades, and I certainly can't unwind that on my own.  I've taken a few steps here and there to get things back to passable, but if you are actually interested in being more than a contrarian, I would encourage you to follow up with people/teams like K-Lite and help them and others keep improving.  I'm one of the guys they both stole from and the guy who had to figure out for them what they were doing: I feel pretty firmly knowledgeable on this subject, and if you want to doubt my expertise you're welcome to ask them why they were stealing my code which kind of again points to even them (without knowing) realizing I might have some area knowledge here.

Ad hoc comments like "had done more damage ... than some notable percentage of actual outright malware" have no place in my book.

And now you know it wasn't ad hoc.  If the truth has no place in your book, we can politely agree to disagree.

I am going to politely bow out of this conversation at this time.  I realize I speak from an area of somewhat unique knowledge in this sector, but if you were to follow up in full (comments such as "removed quickly" do a disservice to the conversation) with K-Lite on even 1/4 of the points raised you will quickly be able to reconstruct enough of the picture to be pretty horrified at the history of their contributions in the field here.  A comment such as "well yeah they pulled it" ignores the catastrophe they had already induced.  Just because you stop burning down houses doesn't really solve the fact that, you know, you burnt down houses and there are still millions of fires raging around the planet.  Every single sad user on any system for any reason whatsoever bothers me.  I've done and will continue to do my part to help, and if we have one less naïve user touting Codec Packs as the snake oil solution to all problems I'll consider this time marginally well spent.  If you want to forgive K-Lite, sure, but the fact remains that they have been one of the most toxic projects ever released for Windows in any form.

I wish you well in your interests.  Computing is a complicated field, and perhaps you are more used to interacting with random people who only have a vague knowledge of their area.  I hope you can squarely see where I'm coming from now.  If you can't, then I don't know what to say.  Regardless I wish you well, and will politely bow out of this conversation as there really is nothing meaningful left to say.  Peace and love. =]

Sorry this didn't help.