Corel Draw X3 ruins Windows 8.1 apps

Hi!

After Corel Draw X3 installation, the Windows modern UI apps dont work. Any of them, including Store. They just open and immediately close, no error messages.
If you want to try install Corel Draw X3, then make Restore point before!

Discussion Info

Last updated November 21, 2019 Views 15,032 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank You very much!
This solution works great with CorelDraw X4. After installation Corel on clean Windows 8.1, all modern apps does not work any more - after clicking shows only start screen for few second and gone. i spent many time to find reason and some solution - nothing was help to this time, even microsoft agent with wirtual desktop ;)
This quick operation gives back to normal.

(but why it is happen here? in Win8 every thing was ok)

WORKS!! Thank you. I have been fighting with this corel/windows issue for months and now done in one minute.

I have Corel Draw X3 (Essentials) installed and had the same problems with Windows 8.1 (Update 1). All apps crashed after a few seconds. It definitely was the "all application packages" key that was missing in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. After changing this everything is alright.

It's a mistery that there is no warning or official solution from Microsoft available.

from KB article linked above, I only had to perform one change to bring back modern apps..

1. Open regedit.exe

2. Right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and select permissions

3. Add "All Application Packages" with Read permission (All Application Packages was missing)

File system checks were ok, other registry keys were correctly configured (but you'll probably want to check anyways).

you are my idol.

i have tried for weeks to get my god forsaken apps to work.

you did it with one simple step!!!!

I can not thank you enough, rob0000 !!!!!!!!!!

I recently encountered this problem. I installed X3 on a system with Windows 8 and upgraded to 8.1, no problem.  But when I installed 8.1 first corel X3 nuked the permissions for HKCR for me too!  However while I was able to get modern apps working by finding this thread (thanks!) I found that another side effect of corel and 8.1 was it would nuke the ability to set up a 2nd user.  I would try to add a 2nd user to the computer and the "we're setting things up for you" phase would take forever!  And then all I got was a black screen and a mouse cursor. I could bring up task manager and log out but that was it.  I even went through and re-instated all the permissions corel nuked for HKCR and verified that all root registry keys had original permissions as well as all system folders.  But still no luck adding a second user.  Had to resort to installing windows, immediately installing corel then re-running the windows 8.1 setup from within windows and choosing the "keep files and programs" option and basically go through the windows setup again but now corel is installed and windows works properly and I can add multiple users.

I am at a loss as to how a program can nuke the OS like that and the fact that it works with 8 but it's the update to 8.1 that is flawed?  A very frustrating week. 

I recently encountered this problem. I installed X3 on a system with Windows 8 and upgraded to 8.1, no problem.  But when I installed 8.1 first corel X3 nuked the permissions for HKCR for me too!  However while I was able to get modern apps working by finding this thread (thanks!) I found that another side effect of corel and 8.1 was it would nuke the ability to set up a 2nd user.  I would try to add a 2nd user to the computer and the "we're setting things up for you" phase would take forever!  And then all I got was a black screen and a mouse cursor. I could bring up task manager and log out but that was it.  I even went through and re-instated all the permissions corel nuked for HKCR and verified that all root registry keys had original permissions as well as all system folders.  But still no luck adding a second user.  Had to resort to installing windows, immediately installing corel then re-running the windows 8.1 setup from within windows and choosing the "keep files and programs" option and basically go through the windows setup again but now corel is installed and windows works properly and I can add multiple users.

I am at a loss as to how a program can nuke the OS like that and the fact that it works with 8 but it's the update to 8.1 that is flawed?  A very frustrating week. 

Hi,

I don't think that this is a flaw in MS Windows 8.1, more a flaw in CorelDraw X3. I had the same problem, fixed it via the windows registry.....

The reason why I think it's more related to Corel Draw X3 is that other software installed without any problems at all and I so don't want to buy an upgrade to CorelDraw X7 because I'm still pleased with X3.

Apparently Microsoft changed the security and somehow the installation of CorelDraw X3 messed it up.... :-(

It's stupid that Corel doesn't come with this solution, they simply are saying that you've to buy an upgrade.

Hello world, how are you doing?

this fixed my windows store app after install corel x3 and x4... thanks...

HI Cynthia_1968,

how did you the resolve the issue? I am having the same issue.

Thanks

GuidoM

from KB article linked above, I only had to perform one change to bring back modern apps..

1. Open regedit.exe

3. Add "All Application Packages" with Read permission (All Application Packages was missing)

File system checks were ok, other registry keys were correctly configured (but you'll probably want to check anyways).

Excellent, thank you!

Note for those of us working on a computer connected to a Windows Domain, between step 2 and 3, you must click on Locations and change it to the local computer name. "All Application Packages" is not an Active Directory name.

1. Open regedit.exe

Thank you so much!

I installed Corel Draw X3 on my Surface Pro 3, and was so disappointed at the thought of having to upgrade or use another package. Made this change to the registry and all is well.