Technical Level: Basic
Applies to: Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1
How to get rid of embarrassing or unwanted pictures that scroll through the Windows 8.1 Photo App Live Tile even after being deleted from your Photo Library. Or remove images that appear after you have permanently deleted from your hard drive.
If you delete an image from your library, the Live Tile does not immediately sync and select a new picture to replace it. This was an issue in the original Photos App in 8.0 and Microsoft did not change this in Windows 8.1. You have to wait 24 hours for new images to appear and after 24 hours, you may still need to open the Photos App and let it run in the foreground for new images to appear on the Live Tile. You can use the info below to change the images displayed on the Photos App Live Tile any time you wish to make a change. You still cannot pick and choose what is displayed, unfortunately. Microsoft states that the Tile slide show consists of 5 images selected from your MOST RECENT 50 IMAGES, which can be stored locally, or on SkyDrive.
I have tested this on both a Desktop and Surface RT running Windows 8.1. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Open the Photos App, select Charms, Options
2. If the Shuffle option is on, turn it off
3. Close the Photos App
4. On the Start Screen, if the Live Tile is On, turn it OFF.
5. Close the Photos App and make sure it is not running. To do this, either open it and drag it down to the bottom of your screen about half way and hold it there until the icon flips around to show the Photos Tile Logo OR on the Start screen, type TASK MANAGER and open it and end task on Photos and then check Task Manager a second time to insure the Photos App is closed.
6. Go to the desktop and navigate to
7. Delete all the Tile*.jpg files and any *.dat files – you may have two dat files and EMPTY THE RECYCLE BIN.
8. Open the Photos App and turn the Shuffle option back on
9. Turn the Photos App Live Tile back on
10. Leave the Photos App running in the foreground for 10-15 minutes
11. You should have a new set of images appear on the Live Tile within a few minutes.