Clear Photos App Live Tile Images in Windows 8.1

Technical Level : Expert

Summary

Technical Level: Basic

Applies to: Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1

How to get rid of embarrassing or unwanted pictures that scroll through the Windows 8.1 Photo App Live Tile even after being deleted from your Photo Library. Or remove images that appear after you have permanently deleted from your hard drive.

Details

If you delete an image from your library, the Live Tile does not immediately sync and select a new picture to replace it. This was an issue in the original Photos App in 8.0 and Microsoft did not change this in Windows 8.1. You have to wait 24 hours for new images to appear and after 24 hours, you may still need to open the Photos App and let it run in the foreground for new images to appear on the Live Tile. You can use the info below to change the images displayed on the Photos App Live Tile any time you wish to make a change. You still cannot pick and choose what is displayed, unfortunately. Microsoft states that the Tile slide show consists of 5 images selected from your MOST RECENT 50 IMAGES, which can be stored locally,  or on SkyDrive.

I have tested this on both a Desktop and Surface RT running Windows 8.1. Here are the steps to follow:

1. Open the Photos App, select Charms, Options

2. If the Shuffle option is on, turn it off

3. Close the Photos App

4. On the Start Screen, if the Live Tile is On, turn it OFF.

5. Close the Photos App and make sure it is not running. To do this, either open it and drag it down to the bottom of your screen about half way and hold it there until the icon flips around to show the Photos Tile Logo OR on the Start screen, type TASK MANAGER and open it and end task on Photos and then check Task Manager a second time to insure the Photos App is closed.

6. Go to the desktop and navigate to

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Packages\FileManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState

7. Delete all the Tile*.jpg files and any *.dat files – you may have two dat files and EMPTY THE RECYCLE BIN.

8. Open the Photos App and turn the Shuffle option back on

9. Turn the Photos App Live Tile back on

10. Leave the Photos App running in the foreground for 10-15 minutes

11. You should have a new set of images appear on the Live Tile within a few minutes.

See Also

Excerpted from http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/2013/07/05/how-to-change-photo-tile-live-images-in-windows-8-1/

Forum Article Info

Last updated August 16, 2019 Views 55,642 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks - like all else in the PC business - 2 steps forward and a few lost pieces along the way... 8.1 is certainly new and seems the amount of customizability and contol over one's own environment is no longer deemed worthly...hey developers, time to pay attention to exposed properties and settings...again! Circa XP and 7
This did not work, the deleted files just recached and are back in the folder, i even went so far as to delete the entire folder and moments later it is back, i do not have these pictures anywhere accept on skydrive, how do i find out where they are being pulled from?
This did not work, the deleted files just recached and are back in the folder, i even went so far as to delete the entire folder and moments later it is back, i do not have these pictures anywhere accept on skydrive, how do i find out where they are being pulled from?
How many pictures do you have on SkyDrive? How many on your local computer? Did you permanently delete or send to recycle bin? This process has worked for everyone so far.
Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP
I have all my pictures stored on my skydrive, i only have a folder on my local computer, just some bing images of the day i liked, but no other pictures.  its showing pictures that i do not have on my local drive.
I have all my pictures stored on my skydrive, i only have a folder on my local computer, just some bing images of the day i liked, but no other pictures.  its showing pictures that i do not have on my local drive.

If you have image files in any folder on SkyDrive, those are included. If the most recent 50 pictures are on SkyDrive, it will never show pictures from the local computer. It seems like all images on the Live Tile for you are from SkyDrive because they have the most recent date.

See the response from Gregg Rivers in this thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-pictures/new-photos-app-in-windows-81-live-tile-questions/e2a5ac51-f610-4fbf-bf3b-b6ce5879b771

You may want to post in that thread as well.

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP
So what would i do need to modify 50 new pictures because i have downloaded some pics here and there lately?
Joseph, I noticed the same issue when I tried to do this (with the same 5 photos returning to the live tile). After you've followed all the steps up do deleting the tiles and .dat file, try emptying the recycle bin. That worked for me.

Also, I've tried adding photos I want into this file and just renaming them "Tile1" 2, 3 etc, and it allows me to do it for ONE photo, but if I try to change multiple, it doesn't seem to work. Just throwing that out there.
my recycle bin stays emptied, and i have the photos being showed no longer, i deleted them yesturday from skydrive and the only photos i have on my local computer are bing pictures i like that i download from bing,com

This worked perfectly for me, thank you very much!

But, I found the files to delete in this location:

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Packages\FileManager_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState

I had to wait to switch to 8.1 due to work and how it works with some programs we have, intranet, and email from outlook.

However this does work to some degree.  I followed all the steps except waiting for 15 minutes with the Photos App in the Foreground.  First of all you cannot turn on Live Tile on the Start Screen without leaving the photo app in the background for a moment to do that, you do not have to close photos, you just have to switch back to start.  I am going to assume you all knew this and the instructions creator did to.  The other reason why I did not wait is because you do not have to, literally within seconds of turning back on shuffle, and live tile, a .dat file, and 5 tile.jpg's were put in that folder.  I emptied the recycle bin, I followed all the steps.

What it does, is that it will work in grabbing 5 photos, yet restarting, or even shutting down your computer, will never change those 5 photos.  The only way to change them is to go into that folder each time you want to basically, delete the tile and dat files, empty the recycle, turn everything back on, and it will grab 5 different ones.

The past photo program would automatically do this for you.  It would delete the local cache of .dat and tile files and pull 5 random ones.  Now it pulls the 5 and stores them, I have not tried a cache delete, however having to delete the cache or do all these steps just to see a different set of random pictures daily is arduous.

There needs to be a longer term fix so this is an automated process.  I do not know why the Live Tile for photos cannot just be a shuffle of all the photos in the photo app.

Still need a permanent solution to this, this is a temporary fix that needs to be done over and over to change 5 pictures.