Can't edit mp3 tags on the details pane in windows explorer on windows 8.1

I have recently installed windows 8.1 and everything seems to be running smoothly, but before I was able to edit the mp3 tags on the details pane, now I can't. I can still edit the details on picture files. 

I can still edit mp3 files in windows media player, but I prefer editing tags in the details pane. 

Does anyone know the cause of this?

EDIT 3/22/14: Still having problems with this issue. However, I fix this by opening up windows explorer without searching anything immediately and clicking on the music folder where I contain all my music, and I'm able to edit the tags.

Basically:

Searching does not simply work.

You may have to restart windows explorer by using task manager to be able to edit tags again.

You may have to restart your computer entirely, especially if you need to update your computer.

Other ways to edit tags:

Use Windows Media Player.

Use a tagging program such as: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

EDIT 7/18/14: Due to required system updates I'm now able to edit multiple values. Though Problem still persists time to time, where I'm still unable to edit tags.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This exact same problem (as described above) DOES in fact still exist in Windows 10, at least on my machines.  I see this same problem accessing properties directly from the directory structure.  It has nothing to do with the "Search" feature of Explorer or the Read Only property.  This bug was not introduced in Win 8.1 like some people have said.  This bug occurs in Windows 7 and in Windows 10.  Some MP3 files can be edited, and some cannot. 

Microsoft just has not gotten their tag editing routines to work all the time, at least not for MP3 files.   They STILL have not, even in the latest version of Windows 10, downloaded December 2015.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have yet to encounter this problem in Windows 10 1511. In fact, Windows 10 has a more serious problem than anything else. Check out this thread of mine where Windows 10 1511 destroyed my 8TB hard drive!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/bitlocker-to-go-with-xts-aes-128-destroyed-my-8tb/87963e91-de85-413d-a11c-fec072e426aa

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

MP1920,

Maybe you could provide more detail about when tag editing works and doesn't work for you.

After reading your note I did a little more testing.

-I have Win 7, Win 10 and Win 10 pro machines.

-On all machines, I am able to edit tags on all tested files, regardless of where they are accessed (This PC, Search or Libraries).

Maybe you have a problem specific to your configuration. (or maybe I just haven't found the specific instance where tags can't be edited) If you give us specifics, I (and others) will look a little deeper.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK.  Here are more details.  I did some more testing last night.  The problem is not specific to any particular version of Windows; it occurs in Win 7 64-bit, Win 8.1 64-bit, and Win 10 64-bit. 

The problem (of not being able to edit and save tag information in Explorer) occurs with some MP3 files and not with others.   Explorer can change tag information on some MP3 files just fine in all 3 versions of Windows.  Explorer cannot change tag information on other MP3 files in all 3 versions of Windows.

I looked at the tag information of the files Explorer cannot change, using the program Mp3tag.  It reports they have both ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tags, just like many other files that Explorer can edit.   I can edit these tags just fine using Mp3tag and foobar2000 and those changes are reflected in Explorer, but still cannot be changed.  There is no information in the Comments tag of these files.  If I totally remove all tag information (using Mp3tag), then Explorer allows me to add and edit the tag information in those files. 

Those 2 programs (Mp3tag and foobar200) have no problem editing the tags in any of these files.  Why can't Microsoft get it right?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a look inside the tag portion of two MP3 files.  One (titled "You're No Good.mp3") cannot be edited in Explorer.  The other ("01 - Heartbreaker.mp3") can.  Perhaps this will help someone figure out why.  Two images attached.  By the way, where it says "Readonly" at the bottom of each window, this is because I opened the files in Readonly mode in the HxD program, not because the file itself is marked as Readonly in Windows.  It is not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this ;

1. In explorer

2. select file

3. right click (to show menu)

4. select [open with]

5. select [Choose default program...]

6. tick the box = [use this application for all mp3 files] if you intend to edit more than the selected file.

7. select [Windows Media Player]

8. select file & right click again

9. This time select [Properties]

10. [Details]

11. Editing now possible.

12. After editing, repeat steps 2-7 to change back to your preferred player.

Even if your preferred player is WMP and you can't edit - Go through these steps - it works for me.  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the problem in Win 10 Anniversary update Edition

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2020 Views 17,218 Applies to: