Windows randomly crashing. Suspecting GPU or Windows itself.

First off, apologies for effectively re-making this thread. My last one was abandoned by any helpers despite two separate bumps. To quote the original question:

"As the title states, my new machine of only a couple weeks of age has randomly crashed on me when viewing YouTube. It doesn't lead to any of the Screens of Death, but a someone greenish screen with multiple thin and colored stripes going across it vertically. Whatever sound was playing at the time continues for a couple seconds before freezing, and then the computer force restarts itself about five seconds after the freeze.

I have no idea what's causing the issue or how to reliably replicate it, since something that I was doing when it crashed will play out perfectly fine after the restart. All I know is that the single common factor was that a YouTube video was playing; either actively, or in the background while I was in a different tab or program.

I have the latest version of Flash, updated drivers as far as I know, and a clean no virus computer.

Radeon R9 270X GPU

ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

16G of Memory

600W Power Supply"

And to update with all the time and crashes since making the original ask: I'm now suspecting the issue is with the GPU, as I had two crashes within the same hour while playing Minecraft at full screen (No idea if it'll crash without full screen yet). As the first crash had no YouTube involved, and the second had nothing else running, I can only assume that the GPU itself is just randomly screwing itself up.

Nobody I've talked two over the past month has had any idea what's going on, so I would really like to find a way to make this stop happening.

First off, apologies for effectively re-making this thread. My last one was abandoned by any helpers despite two separate bumps. To quote the original question:

"As the title states, my new machine of only a couple weeks of age has randomly crashed on me when viewing YouTube. It doesn't lead to any of the Screens of Death, but a someone greenish screen with multiple thin and colored stripes going across it vertically. Whatever sound was playing at the time continues for a couple seconds before freezing, and then the computer force restarts itself about five seconds after the freeze.

I have no idea what's causing the issue or how to reliably replicate it, since something that I was doing when it crashed will play out perfectly fine after the restart. All I know is that the single common factor was that a YouTube video was playing; either actively, or in the background while I was in a different tab or program.

I have the latest version of Flash, updated drivers as far as I know, and a clean no virus computer.

Radeon R9 270X GPU

ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

16G of Memory

600W Power Supply"

And to update with all the time and crashes since making the original ask: I'm now suspecting the issue is with the GPU, as I had two crashes within the same hour while playing Minecraft at full screen (No idea if it'll crash without full screen yet). As the first crash had no YouTube involved, and the second had nothing else running, I can only assume that the GPU itself is just randomly screwing itself up.

Nobody I've talked two over the past month has had any idea what's going on, so I would really like to find a way to make this stop happening.

Hi,

Those lines normally indicate either corrupted Graphic Drivers or failing Graphics Hardware.

As it is only two weeks old, it is under Warranty.

I suggest that you either contact the Manufacturer or post in their Support forums to see if others are having the same problem with that model.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, it was two weeks old at the time of that original post. Right now the machine has just about hit a month, and I had the GPU itself for about three weeks before everything else even arrived. So I have no warranty on the GPU.

I have no idea if it's the same model since I can't contact them directly, but I did read one specific case where a person said they had a Radeon of some kind, and there was an AMD related driver that was prone to just breaking at random, which is why I even suspected the GPU in the first place. However, they specifically mentioned BSoD crashes when talking about it, so I hesitate to say it's the same problem. They also said that uninstalling the bad driver and rolling back by one version stopped the crashing, but overall broke their display because the GPU no longer displayed at the proper resolution without said bad driver.

I'll hit up AMD support to see if there are any similar problems, but is there anything I can do off the bat to try and fix things in the case that it's not the hardware itself, but the driver like the person said?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did not say it was definitely the Hardware:

Those lines normally indicate either corrupted Graphic Drivers or failing Graphics Hardware.

Drivers are Software and you get Drivers from the Manufacturer's website for the particular Model Number and Operating System.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still haven't heard back from the AMD guys aside from "We're aware our drivers are buggy.". but when I took my machine to class with me today (since it's a computer tech course), it was pointed out that the power supply might not be cutting it 100% of the time, and that maybe the graphic crashes are because the power to the GPU randomly gets some dirty power/drop in power.

I've been told that the power supply is just barely on the borderline of just being enough since AMD is ridiculously inefficient when it comes to power usage, and have been recommended to upgrade to a bigger supply; at least 700, but 750/800 was ideal. Also a supply with more than one 12V rail.

Thoughts on this course of action?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

At the present time you are relying on people's guesses as to what it may be.

Unless you get parts properly tested, swap out the parts you want to until you fix it.

Good luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2018 Views 271 Applies to: