Windows Event log is full of Application Hang events for Java applications in 8.1

Hi,

After doing an upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, all Java applications started to behave badly. This includes random freezing and generating log events with the type of Application Hang.

Windows Event report (in Czech language from Windows 8.1 CZ) with the type of Application Hang:

ID procesu: 184c

Čas spuštění: 01cece41b7939f5e

Čas ukončení: 4294967295

Cesta k aplikaci: C:\Program Files\PLSQLDev\plsqldev.exe

ID hlášení: 32874601-3add-11e3-beb2-

Úplný název chybujícího balíčku:

ID aplikace související s chybujícím balíčkem:

Název události: AppHangB1

The problematic applications consists of javaw.exe (webstart), plsqldev.exe (PLSQL Developer) and also various desktop applications using JRE7. Windows 8 worked ok, those problems raised after updating to Windows 8.1. Any clues?

Hi Lukas,

You may try uninstalling and re-installing all the java applications and check if that helps.

Please let us know in case you need more help on this issue or any issue related to Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

We are developing a Java apps and several (5+) users are experiencing freezing after upgrading from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1. On Windows 7 and 8.0 it works. On Windows 8.1 it generates app hang system events.

I tried:
sfc /scannow

On two computers, it returned the same set of errors:
2013-10-29 10:24:28, Info                  CSI    0000084e [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.16384, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2013-10-29 10:24:29, Info                  CSI    00000850 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.16384, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2013-10-29 10:24:29, Info                  CSI    00000851 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:186{93}]"Microsoft-Windows-Printer-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384.INF_prncacla"
2013-10-29 10:24:30, Info                  CSI    00000852 [SR] Repair complete?

Then I found this interesting command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It fixed all the errors, but several Java apps including Java Web Start apps are still freezing.

We tried several Java versions including the latest one (1.7.0_45), both 32bit & 64bit. We tried to uninstall and reinstall. For one Java app, we use Install4j, which build a signed exe file for Windows. So we tried to tick Windows 7 compatibility and other settings. Nothing helped, still freezing. Windows Update and HP Support Assistant reports that everything is up to date.
We expect more of these problems will arise as more customers will upgrade to Windows 8.1 and we don't have any solution for them. Right now I have three laptops on my table and am trying to figure out, what could be the issue. I suspect some dll responsible for network (winhttp.dll or something) communication. It must be something added in 8.1 like IE freeze bug: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/internet-explorer-freezes-after-upgrade-to-windows/182133b0-65f0-4c7d-bc4a-ccbb4d43ae0e ...I'm C# and Java developer, so I'm trying to look at it from different angles, but with no luck after two weeks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BUMP! Still having problems. All persons had to do a clean install of Windows 8.0. Persons, who still use Windows 8.1 are still having issues. Generic answer like uninstall/install some app won't solve this issue. This is something with TCP/IP communication stack in Windows 8.1 or some "security" feature for networking. Please do something with it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem.  We have 3 computers in the office running Windows 8.1 with Java 7 update 45.  Two of the computers run our OpenGL web start application fine, but the other one will not.  There has to be a logical explanation, but 4 days of investigation have produced no positive results for me.

If I go back to Java 7 update 25 I'm able to run the application successfully.  I don't know if this is a Java 7 update 45 issue or a Windows 8.1 issue.  On second thought I'm pretty sure this is a Windows 8.1 issue because I was running the application successfully with Windows 8.0 and Java 7 update 45 before I upgraded my Windows OS to 8.1.

Rob Milton

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2019 Views 1,330 Applies to: