Windows boot manager boot failed

im in the slow ring for win10 creator updates. every few weeks I get new version to install. but the last one broke my pc and got me to this boot failure message. I pressed ok few times and then OneKey recovery showed up and asked me if I want to restore my pc to its initial state(and lose all my data). I pulled my HDD out and made a backup then I used the restore option which brought me to win 8.1 as out-of-box.

then I downloaded win10 media creation tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10.

I followed the steps. it downloaded win10 and then ask me whether to keep my file or not. I chose save ''nothing'' then the pc did a restart and started the installation procces. once it finished it did some restart and again the "windows boot manager boot failed" showed up again.

is there anything I can do further?

thank you.

my pc: Lenovo g50 i7 5500

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are receiving the error Windows Boot Manager boot failed, when booting the PC.

One of the things that you can try is rebuilding the BCD file using Bootrec command and see if that helps.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.

2. On the initial setup screen, select the language and other preferences and click on Next. (If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.)

3. Now, click on Repair your computer.

4. On the System Recovery Options screen, select Troubleshoot> Advanced options > Command Prompt.

5. Now type in the commands and hit Enter:
    BOOTREC /FIXMBR
    BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos
    BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    bootsect /nt60 SYS

6. Restart the PC.

Note: If you receive any error message after running bootsect /nt60 SYS command, then you can try running bootsect /nt60 ALL command.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2020 Views 407 Applies to: