Windows 8.1 unclickable windows button, windows 8 functions not working, etc. File system error 65535

Since last week, my laptop stopped functioning correctly. the windows key does not work, windows button on the bottom left corner does not respond, cannot open Start, cannot go to internet access menu, black icons in desktop, cannot install programs (file system error 65535), cannot open things like action center, control panel, etc.

I can see the same problems in safe mode except installing programs, so I assume it is Windows problem?

I have temporarily fixed the black icons by using icon packager and changing the theme of the icons.

I have scanned for virus using Kaspersky, no threat found.

I have used safe mode to install ccleaner, ran everything there.

I have refreshed explorer.exe many times.

I have used restore point, but failed to complete the restore.

I have done system scan using sfc /scannow, nothing.

I have tried most of the things on Google, but nothing seemed to work.

Is there a way to fix one/all of the problems?

Original title: Windows 8.1 unclickable windows button, windows 8 functions not working, etc. 

Answer
Answer

Hi Thund,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing and will certainly help you in the right direction to fix the issue. However, I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions to narrow down the issue in order to provide you with better assistance.

1. What were the results of the SFC scan that your performed?
  2. Did you make any significant hardware or software changes to the computer prior to this issue?
  3. Does the Start button stop responding or work intermittently?

The issue might arise due to some system file corruption. The result of the SFC scan is vital to know the root cause of the issue. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool is another great tool that helps in repairing these System file corruptions. Refer to the following steps to run the tool.

a) Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, press Windows key + Q and type on CMD right click on Command Prompt from the list and select Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

b) Type the following commands. Press Enter after each command

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
  • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
c) Close the command prompt.

In addition to that, I would suggest you to diagnose the issue in a new user account to troubleshoot the possibility of user profile corruption.

Create a user account

Hope this information is helpful. Let us know the results after following the steps, we'll be glad to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2018 Views 417 Applies to: