Windows 8.1 Keeps freezing any help?

Hi All,

I have an issue with windows 8.1 of which I would like someone to shed some light on for me.

The issue I am having is that every so often since upgrading 8.1 last night it keeps locking up on me for no apparent reason resulting in a a restart by the reset switch, and this never happened with windows 8 but it is annoying how 8.1 is now doing it.

Can anyone help? as I am seriously debating downgrading from windows 8.1 back to 8 as I don't want a system that locks up on me and is unstable all the time due to using my computer to do coursework for college and can't afford to lose any work that has not been saved.

SPECS:
MSI E350DM-E33
AMD E350 X2 @ 1.6Ghz
8GB DDR3
1TB HDD
ATI HD RADEON 6310

Yours Sincerely,
Shane

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2019 Views 118,549 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
since I've done that trick I found the system has been running great. I'll repeat it here and then try to scatter it into other replies. People should be made aware of this trick. Go into Task Manager. Right click on Windows Explorer. Click "restart"... then restart your PC...  the PC will take awhile to reboot... the Windows system must be "reinstalling" or something.... this reset everything very well, for me....

147 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

It is odd that you couldn't run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth here is a link to the scanner http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx If it doesn't work you can search Bing for Microsoft security scanner

Did it give you an error? Maybe it was typed in wrong or you weren't running command prompt as admin. You can copy from here and right click then select paste in the command prompt.

Does dism /online cleanup-image /checkhealth or dism /online cleanup-image /scanhealth run.

One of those will scan the computer for issues and report back if there is anything to fix. The other will the registry and other places to see if Windows set flags which is just its way of marking that there is an issue that needs repaired.

None will try and fix anything but they should run.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.