Windows 8.1 freezes on screensaver

I recently updated from windows 8 to 8.1.  I had no problems with windows 8, but since updating to windows 8.1, my laptop regularly freezes when I'm running iTunes.  I have my music playing, but I'm not actually using the computer.  When I play iTunes while browsing the internet or typing in word, I have no issues.  But when I'm using my laptop to play music only, it runs the screensaver.  It did this on windows 8 as well but without problems.  Three or four times now it has frozen on my screensaver (the moving text freezes).  The song that is playing will finish, but the next song won't start.  I can't use the keyboard or mouse to get the screensaver to disappear.  I can't even use Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up task manager.  The only thing I've been able to do is hard restart my computer by holding down the power button.  If anyone has a solution, I'd appreciate it.

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2018 Views 4,668 Applies to:

Hi,

It would be great if you can provide more information regarding this issue. Please answer these questions for a better understanding.

1)       Do you have any third party security program installed on the computer and did you schedule a security scan to run when the computer becomes idle?

2)       Are you using any third party screen saver program on the computer?

This issue could be either due to some issue with the screen saver program on the computer or some conflicts on the computer. I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that help.

Method 1: Disable the Screen Saver feature and check if this happens when the computer is left idle.

If you are using any third party screen saver program on the computer, you may please disable it. You may also turn off the Windows inbuilt screen saver feature and try to recreate the situation on the computer and check if the issue occurs. To turn off the Windows inbuilt screen saver feature, you may follow these steps:

a)       Got to the Desktop Interface and right click on a free space on the desktop.

b)       Select the option “Personalize” from that context menu.

c)       In the “Personalization” window, click on the link “Screen Saver

d)       On the “Screen Saver Settings” window, select “None” from the drop down menu under “Screen Saver” section.

e)       Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.

f)        Now, keep the computer idle for some time as you did previously and check if this issue persists even when the screen saver is not activated.

If the issue persists, then this could be due to some conflicts from any third party software installed on the computer. If you have any third party security program installed on the computer in which an idle scan is set, then try the next method.

Method 2: Temporarily disable the third party security program. (If you have installed any)

I request you to contact the technical support and temporarily disable either the security program completely or the idle scan and check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists, then let’s check if this is caused by any other third party software on the computer. Let’s perform a clean boot and check the result.

Method 3: Perform a Clean Boot and find out which application/service is causing this issue.

A clean boot helps to eliminate software conflicts and to determine what is causing the problem. To perform a clean boot, please refer to the section “How to perform a clean boot” and follow the instructions for “Windows 8.1 and Windows 8” from this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You may please note that performing a clean boot does not fix the actual issue. It just helps us in identifying the root cause of the issue.

If the issue does not occur in clean boot, then you may determine which application/service on the computer is causing this issue. This can be done by following the instructions for “Windows 8.1 and Windows 8” given in the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot” from the same given link.

Important: After you have finished troubleshooting, refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” for “Windows 8 and Windows 8.1”, to reset the computer to start as usual from the above link.

Please get back to us with the results.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Did you ever get this fixed? I think I've been having a similar problem - my computer freezes but I'm able to move the mouse but I can't use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out of it and I have to do a hard restart too.

The freezing problem went away for a couple months even with my Windows 8.1 photo gallery screensaver running - I'm not sure what fixed it, windows update, running Dism RestoreHealth, running scannow - not sure.

But last night it froze again for the first time in at least a couple months - it was stuck on one of the pictures fading in and out of the photo gallery screensaver. I had to do a hard restart. The only change that has happened is I updated all the important, recommended and optional updates yesterday. I realize I may not have needed the optional update, but my computer isn't going to sleep as its supposed to and there was a supposed fix in this update.

In any event, I've changed the screensaver to something other than photo gallery and I ran Dism and scannow again and we'll see if that works. By the way, I believe all my drivers are up to date. Windows 8.1 upgrade has been a huge, huge headache.

Sorry this didn't help.

I disabled my screensaver, and that seems to have done the trick.  It helped for the first week, then I had it freeze on me once, but I haven't had any issues the last couple months.  I don't know if it was because I disabled the screensaver or if one of the software updates helped resolve the issue. 

If you're still having trouble, you might try disabling the screensaver, as that seemed to help in my case.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JG_892,

Thank you so much for sharing this information with us.

Hope this is helpful for all the others facing similar issues. If you need any further assistance with Windows Operating System, please post your query on Microsoft Community Forums and we’ll be glad to assist you with it.

Regards,

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GRBU2,

It would be great if you can share the details (KB Numbers) of the Windows updates you installed, after which this issue has occurred again on the computer.

Also, let's know if the issue persists after you change the screen saver to something else other than the Photo Gallery items.

Please get back to us with the updates.

Regards,

Sorry this didn't help.

I updated all the February updates - including the optional update. I haven't had any freezes since changing the screensaver from photo gallery. I think I have it on mystify now. I might try photo gallery again at some point, but I'm fine not dealing with any freezes for the time being.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Microsoft,

It would be nice if you COULD DESIGN A SYSTEM THAT WAS ABLE TO PROPERLY HANDLE A SCREENSAVER! How about you idiots stop this bs advice on fixes and put some tiny bit of intelligence into design?

Sorry this didn't help.

I know! just because you're the biggest company around does'nt mean you can slack off with your quality. my computer has had multiple problems running win 8.1 and when i was referred to a Microsoft techie i was charged $400. my brother fixed it for free in 2 minutes.

What is wrong with you people!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Windows 10 and my "Slide Screen Saver" freezes and nothing un-freeze it.  Have to turn off the computer and turn it back on.  Frustrating!  I love this feature of seeing all my pictures!  HELP!

Sorry this didn't help.