Windows 8.1 Freezes After Sleep Mode

This is a variation of problems I've seen in the community.

My desktop goes into sleep mode (default setting).  After emerging from sleep mode, it will sometimes, randomly freeze up.  I will get the white / black screen of death.

I have reviewed the other threads and made sure my graphic driver is updated to the latest.  Using a dual monitor set up but that should not have an impact.

When I called MSFT, they took me through the basic troubleshooting which did not uncover anything else (i.e., power troubleshooting).  Since basic support could not figure this out, they pointed me to the community with an answer that is not the exact issue.

No rhyme or reason for blanking out although I wonder if it has anything to do with playing video streams after coming out of sleep mode.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2018 Views 1,694 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Refer the suggestion from Crankcase posted on August 25th, 2010 (steps also apply for Windows 8.1)
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1d478f44-2a24-4cca-9cff-40d639b7a8f1/windows-7-wont-wake-up-after-sleep

Please revert if you face any issues.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Four days ago I installed a Windows Update (KB3000850). Since then I have had no problems--Sleep mode has worked as advertised.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.