Windows 8.1: Compatibility issues with DirectX 11.2

I have just upgraded to Windows 8.1 about 24 hours ago. And almost immediately I encountered a myriad of issues related to DirectX. To list it out:

1. Windows Media Player 
Videos (all formats available in my library: mp4, avi, wmv, mkv, etc.) were launched as if they were songs, i.e. it freezes on the first frame, but the sound continues playing. The videos however run without problems in the Videos and Pictures apps of Windows 8.1.

2. K-Lite Media Codec Pack
Attempts to run the said videos in Windows Media PLayer Classic resulted in the following error message:

"0x8876086A
Dx9AllocatorPresenterFailed

D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE"

mp4 videos were then rendered upside-down.

3. DeSmuMe Emulator
Attempts to run the emulator resulted in the following error message:

"Unable to initialize DirectDraw"

4. Pinball FX 2
Crashes on loading

Fixes that I've tried but without effects:
1. DirectX determined as up-to-date
2. Installed DirectX 9
3. Updated graphic card drivers
4. Ran DirectX Diagnostic Tool. DirectDraw and Direct3D were in enabled state all along.

So far most of the apps/softwares affected are games, so they don't really affect me that much. However, I really need Windows Media Player and K-Lite Media Codec Pack top work, as they are essential for me to listen to my online courses with subtitles. 

Anyone else with similar problems?

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2019 Views 2,805 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
UPDATE: after restoring the laptop to right after the installation of Window 8.1 (and before the installation of all drivers), and completing the installation of all drivers, the problems listed above have gone.

My Windows is now functioning as it has been prior to Windows 8.1

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.