Windows 8.1 blank screen on start-up after installing KB2883200

Every time I install KB2883200, my HP EliteBook 8460p running Windows 8.1, the PC won't startup after shutdown. After the BIOS screen is displayed, all I see is a blank black screen. There is no mouse cursor, and I can't boot into safe mode. I've used my Windows 8.1 install disc to restore to a point prior to the install of KB2883200 four times in narrowing it down to KB2883200 being the cause. This update came out Thursday 10/17/2013, which is the same day as the launch of Windows 8.1. I've been running the release bits from MSDN for a few weeks. Other people appear to be having this blank screen issue, but they are all updating from 8 to 8.1, and they can see a mouse cursor. 

The knowledge base article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2883200/en-us) does mention some PCs "experience an error when resuming a computer from hibernation, and a blank screen is shown. This issue may occur with some computers that have TPM chips enabled. " I'm not resuming from hibernate, but starting up from a shutdown. Any ideas about the cause? Can I skip this update?

Question Info

Last updated January 20, 2019 Views 9,894 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

​Hi,

If you are facing issue with the computer after installing an update, then you may try hiding the update for time being and install it later.

Refer to the following Microsoft Help article to hide an update.
Troubleshoot problems with installing updates:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates
Note: Refer the section "I keep being offered an update from Windows that I don't want or I already removed."

Please reply with the status of the issue, so that we could help you better.

Basith M
- Forum Moderator (Multiple Forums)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Every time I install KB2883200, my HP EliteBook 8460p running Windows 8.1, the PC won't startup after shutdown. After the BIOS screen is displayed, all I see is a blank black screen. There is no mouse cursor, and I can't boot into safe mode. I've used my Windows 8.1 install disc to restore to a point prior to the install of KB2883200 four times in narrowing it down to KB2883200 being the cause. This update came out Thursday 10/17/2013, which is the same day as the launch of Windows 8.1. I've been running the release bits from MSDN for a few weeks. Other people appear to be having this blank screen issue, but they are all updating from 8 to 8.1, and they can see a mouse cursor. 

The knowledge base article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2883200/en-us) does mention some PCs "experience an error when resuming a computer from hibernation, and a blank screen is shown. This issue may occur with some computers that have TPM chips enabled. " I'm not resuming from hibernate, but starting up from a shutdown. Any ideas about the cause? Can I skip this update?

You can boot from cd and choose continue booting to windows 8.1

then when windows loads, do:

open an administrator command prompt and run  sfc /scannow

This solved the problem for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Basith,

I'm seeing a problem similar to what EntityFrame described.  However I don't have an option to restore to a point prior to the installation of KB2883200.  From Win8.1 I cannot uninstall it either.  I have only four updates present at this point and none of them are uninstallable:
KB2894179
KB2894029
KB2889543
KB2883200

Can you suggest how I could uninstall KB2883200?

I also ran "sfc /scannow" that UinguZero suggested.  The command ran to completion and said, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." That did not resolve the problem with the hang at black screen on machine start (cold boot).

FYI, I am running on an HP8540w with TPM enabled in BIOS as required by my organization.  For now I am considering reverting to Win8, hoping that it does not install the same update KB2883200.
Himanshu

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,
Is there any news on this topic? It is the 20th of November, and the problem still exists on my HP 8460p. All the upgrades installed, KB2883200 cannot be uninstalled, so I have no options to try.

I cannot boot from my most preferred state for transferring the PC: hibernation.
Hence, I have to search for some boot media everytime it stays too long in standby, and automaticaly chooses hibernation... Awkward.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same issue. This is an Asus X54H.
I have tried disabling most of the start services, as well as uninstalling ASUS software, but I always get the black screen without any cursor. I do not get to see the login screen.

Meanwhile, the hard disks seem to be working, but I have waited for hours and nothing happens. It stays completely black.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here:
- Windows 8.1 on an HP 8740w
- Blank screen after reboot
- Only way to recover is to boot from windows CD and reboot...

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had the same problem on 6730b and after I tried bunch of things, this one helped me:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

It's a short process and relatively easy!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've just disabled TPM in the BIOS, hope this will help...

Sorry this didn't help.

Konstantin, are you saying that you have TPM enabled with Bitlocker and you had the problem described here, but after you rebuilt your bootconfig, your problem went away, and you still have TPM enabled in BIOS with Bitlocker enabled?
Himanshu

Sorry this didn't help.

Kurt,

Disabling TPM in BIOS may be an option for some, but for many people running into this problem their company policy may not allow it (as in my case).

Himanshu

Sorry this didn't help.