Windows 8 100% disk usage

Hi i am Adnan using windows 8 64 bit one language in Sony-Vaio core i5 E series with 4 GB ram .My system hangs even no application is running. It hangs even on a windows audio player. i have set the page size as double of ram but even same issue.I thought this issue will be solved in widows 8.1 but even upgrading to 8.1 i am facing the same issue 

Question Info

Last updated February 16, 2020 Views 11,732 Applies to:

Hi Adnan,

In order to know which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8, I would suggest you to try the following steps.

a.     Open Task Manager and click on Details tab.

b.     Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".

c.     From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click OK.

d.     Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.

e.     Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the HD most.

Try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to increase this virtual memory and check if it helps.

Windows8 automatically manages virtual memory and paging file size by default. The virtual memory set by default is approximately 70% of the recommendation.

You need to increase this virtual memory. Make it equivalent to your RAM size for the initial size and twice of the initial size in maximum size and make sure you have the same amount of free space in your hard drive in each drive.

a.     Press windows + R key from the keyboard.

b.     Select the option Control Panel and All control panel items then System.

c.     Click on Advanced system settings.

d.     Under performance, click on settings.

e.     Go to Advanced tab, Under Virtual memory, click on Change.

f.      UN-check "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box.

g.     Select your windows drive (where OS is installed).

h.     Click on Custom size radio button.

i.      Set Initial size equivalent to your RAM size in MB.

j.      Set Maximum size to twice of your RAM size in MB.

k.     Click on Set.

l.      Click on OK thrice.

m.   Restart your system.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to boot the computer in Safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

If the issue does not persist in safe mode, then perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problems using clean boot in Windows:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot “to reset computer as usual.

You can also refer to the following Microsoft article for more information.

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286

Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Safety Scanner Disclaimer: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate viruses if any.

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If any body puts his computer in hibernate or sleep state. Read this solution

The root cause of most these problems (Windows 8.1 100% disk usage, high disk resources usage) is
if you put your computer in hibernate or sleep state when you close your last activity,
then when it resuming from hibernation or sleep state it will start searching for all processes and files used in the previous season in your hard disk,
including files and processes that you closed and you don't need them.
So if you put your computer in hibernate or sleep state just shutdown not restart your computer,
keep it for five minutes, star it again, see the result.
Don't forget to see the other program in resource manager that can take highest resources of your hard disk.
Hope that will be helpful for all.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.