System performance slow after installing Windows 8.1

Original Title: Windows 8.1 installed well but is unusable....     

I've been with Windows since 3.1, installing every new version as soon as it became available.

Today (18 October) I installed 8.1 from the Store. The installation seemed to well but despite restarting several times I get the following major problems:

1/. Extreme system sluggishness with the CPU time maxing out over 'wwahost' (I think) and Windows Explorer amongst others.

2/. Start screen unusable as it maxes out resources and apps take minutes to load.

3/. The new search locks everything up and ultimately fails to run at all.

The installation is Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

The laptop it's installed on is a Dual Core Intel and is 4 years old. It's fitted with a SSD, it ran 7 & 8.0 very easily. 8 even seemed more sprightly than 7.

I can't install 8.1 on my Desktop or my Surface RT and will wait several months to see if a later iteration works any better.

Has anyone in MS got any ideas about what's going on? I'll try for a couple of hours more but will then have to use a disk image to get back to 8.0.

Thanks and help!!!

Steve

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2018 Views 51,532 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Steve,

This issue may occur if there are many programs set to start automatically when Windows start or due to low hard disk space.

Method 1:
I would suggest you to run the System Maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.
b) Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.
c) Select Troubleshooting. Click on view all and select System Maintenance.
d) Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note: I would suggest you to disconnect all the external devices other than mouse and keyboard and check if it helps.

Method 2:
If the issue persists, I would suggest you to boot the computer to safe mode and check if the issue occurs or not. If the issue does not occur in Safe mode, set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.

Step 1:

I would suggest you to refer the article and check if it helps.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

Step 2:
If the issue do not occur in Safe Mode perform a clean boot and check.

Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Note:

1)      After clean boot troubleshooting steps, follow the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

2)      Applies to Windows 8.1.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having similar issues to what Octaglider posted. One item I specifically noticed is that it now takes about two minutes for a right click dialog box to open on the desktop. I followed the methods indicated above (FYI, you need to search for "troubleshooting" not troubleshooter). The troubleshooting method found no issues. On method 2, I was unable to locate a General Settings menu after clicking Change PC Settings. After going in to msconfig, I was able to restart in safe mode. Regardless, I still have the same lag on right click in safe mode. My pc is about three years old, has an SSD, which ran 7 well and 8 even better. 8.1, however, has been ****.

Sorry this didn't help.

Most computers actually run slow because of a hidden part of your system, which is constantly being used by Windows. This part of your PC is called the "registry" and is the central database for Windows, which stores everything from your latest emails to your desktop wallpaper. It's one of the most important parts of Windows and can easily make your PC run slow.The more corrupt registry files your computer has, the more it struggles to read them.The files which makes it run slower and slower. To fix this, you simply need to use a reliable like am using Reginout since 2011. This is the program which actually work by scanning through the registry and fixing any bad files that are in there. Then allows Windows to read as many files as it wants, when it wants to.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Most computers actually run slow because of a hidden part of your system, which is constantly being used by Windows. This part of your PC is called the "registry" and is the central database for Windows, which stores everything from your latest emails to your desktop wallpaper. It's one of the most important parts of Windows and can easily make your PC run slow.The more corrupt registry files your computer has, the more it struggles to read them.The files which makes it run slower and slower. To fix this, you simply need to use a reliable like am using Reginout since 2011. This is the program which actually work by scanning through the registry and fixing any bad files that are in there. Then allows Windows to read as many files as it wants, when it wants to.

I can't speak for octaglider, but I have used CCleaner for years to clean up files and registry. I'd love to say this is my instant fix, but up until 8.1 I haven't had issues with sluggishness.

Sorry this didn't help.

I gone through the update process well, but soon after that my system started to stumble a bit too, but it was not a major issue. You can optimize it to run better and prevent the crashes. Basics are same i.e. Cleanup and maintenance work required.

Hope It Helps !!

Sorry this didn't help.

One more thing to check : Group Policy Client Service / missing registry service config keys

I started working through this list - nothing came from the maintenance checker, I created a new user to check the corrupted profile option but upon trying to login with that user received this error:

Group policy client service failed sign in or thereabouts anyway.

Searching around that error lead me to this issue and solution here:

You can quickly check if it might be your issue too - check your Services and see if the Group Policy Client is started. In my case it (and a few dependencies were not running and could not be started).

100% the issue in this case. Solved in only a few hours as a result.

MS really needs to have a fixpack that looks for this problem because it looks to be something that can occur since Windows 7.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue, I have a brand new laptop, intel i7 processor 12gbs of RAM 1000GB HHD 2 TBs of Memory and it's running slow as **** after updating to 8.1. Thanks Microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

Im having the same issues and I cant seem to find a solution. My computer is running much slower than it was running with Windows 8. My games lag a lot and they are barely even playable anymore. Chrome also runs slower and even doingsimple tasks on the internet become a chore because of the waiting time. I can hardly get any work done at all. This is really just unacceptable, it really makes me angry. Upgrades are supposed to UPGRADE the computer, not make it worst. I shouldnt have upgraded in the first place, I definitely wont be upgrading to 8.2, lesson learned.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Diego,

Did you try the steps that I have suggested on October 19, 2013? If not, please try those steps and keep us updated on the status of the issue. I will be glad to help you further.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just bought a new computer, 32 GB of RAM, newest i7 processor, and it came with Windows 8.1. My six year-old PC with Vista on it and 8 GBs of RAM runs faster than this. I'm amazed at how poorly Windows 8.1 runs. This is right out of the box, and running so sluggishly I'm thinking of returning the computer and seeing if I can get Windows 7 installed instead. This is abysmally bad. I thought I was getting a powerful workstation, and this is easily the slowest of my machines. So disappointed in the incompetency here.

69 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.