System Freezes Frequently but Pointer Moves

Toshiba laptop - Windows 8.1 64 bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7, 2.40GHz - bought computer w/ Windows 8 installed; all drivers updated and appear to be working.

Lately my computer freezes but the mouse pointer still moves around. This doesn't happen during startup (all is fine there) but usually when I have multiple processes running and I'm not using the computer. The last time it froze it appeared to be when maintenance was running and Outlook 2013 was doing a send and receive. I thought it might be due to the screen saver, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. CTRL ALT DEL does not work. The only thing I can do is turn the computer off by hitting the computer power button.  I've run scannow and there are no issues. The drive is optimized with 0% fragmentation.

Everything was working fine in Windows 8 and I only have noticed the freezes occurring the last couple days. I did install important update KB2901549 a couple days ago - not sure if that is the issue.  Everything else seems to be running okay and I really don't want to have to try a bunch of crazy stuff to fix this. I guess I can always not have so many processes running at the same time or put the computer into sleep if I'm not using it. It has never frozen when I have been using it - which makes me think maybe something to do with maintenance? 

Thanks for your help and I see online this issue is fairly prevalent but haven't seen a fix. Hopefully Microsoft is aware.

Question Info

Last updated December 29, 2019 Views 87,314 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I solved my problem by doing a complete "System Restore" reloading  8.1 and have not had a problem since. Lots of work but it worked

49 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello Graingeman, 

Thank you so much for your help. After turning off auto updates etc.. it still froze so I refreshed the system but selected the option where my files are kept on the computer. It has been working okay since then I'm still monitoring it's improvements. However I had to reinstall everything as well as reupdate some things. I still have automatic updates switched off.

100 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.