SearchProtocolHost.exe using 100% CPU

Hi,

Well, this looks like an issue from several years ago. Occurs in a clean Windows 8.1 installation. No viruses, nothing out of the ordinary. Same configuration, software and documents been working in W8 without issues. AV Windows Defender included with W8.1, browser IE + Firefox, though I almost don't use the last one.

Offending process command line: "C:\Windows\sysWow64\SearchProtocolHost.exe" Global\UsGthrFltPipeMssGthrPipe_S-1-5-21-856921921-1256859959-3533039330-10011_ Global\UsGthrCtrlFltPipeMssGthrPipe_S-1-5-21-856921921-1256859959-3533039330-10011 1 -2147483646 "Software\Microsoft\Windows Search" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT; MS Search 4.0 Robot)" "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Temp\usgthrsvc" "DownLevelDaemon"  "1"

Tried rebuilding indexes and also leave it running for a while with no luck. Process fires itself no matter I'm actually using the computer. It's pretty annoying and I have to stop Windows Search service each time this gets stuck.

Ideas...? Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2018 Views 131,333 Applies to:

Hi Carlos,

SearchProtocolHost.exe is a executable software module that may have been preinstalled on your computer. The exact folder location for this file is also listed below

C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost...

This software program is from Microsoft, and you may see this running continuously in the background on your tasklist. If you see this and see it consuming a huge amount of resources (or if it is slowing your computer down, you can run services.msc and disable it). This was an old issue that Microsoft was reportedly trying to fix, so hopefully this is no longer an issue. You may see this appear in your tasklist if you recently installed Microsoft software (like Microsoft Office, etc.). This software file is considered safe and is not virus or spyware related.

Follow these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

1.       Open the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by pressing Windows key + X,

2.       Then click Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter,

3.       And then click Troubleshooting.

4.       Click View all, and then click Search and Indexing.

Method 2: I would suggest you to run System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) and check if it helps. The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them.

Run System File checker to see if you have any corrupted system files.

a) Go to Start Page.
b) Type: CMD
c) The Apps page will come up.
d) Right click CMD.exe
e) Click “Run as Administrator” on the bottom pane.
f) If you get the User Account Control prompt. Click Yes to continue.
g) At the Command Prompt, type: sfc /scannow

This will check for any integrity violations and fix any corrupted operating system files.

Restart your system.

Method 3: I would suggest you to perform Clean Boot and check. A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps from section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting” to reset the computer to start as usual.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Already tried method 1 and 2. No solution whatsoever. Related to method 3, please care to explain how to identify a random problem with a clean boot. Is not a crash I can filter. Is this [blip] process that suddenly wants to use 100% CPU. Anytime it wants, whenever it wants.

I know what that process is. It can consume CPU, yes. But it can't consume continuosly and in any given moment 100% CPU. I know it had issues and that's the reason behind my comment regarding it looks like an old issue that should be fixed by now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, I find it hard to believe that MS is not seeing this problem on a constant basis. It won't be fixed until corporations move to 8.1 or higher. Corporations won't touch it until the start menu is back. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Carlos,

did you find the problem with this fault?

I have recently started to have the same problem, trying to do almost anything on the computer is getting to be such a pain that it is almost as slow as my Raspberry Pi i have a decent spec computer (I7-3820 CPU running at 4.0 GHz 16 GB ram) running win 8.1 and 3 internal hard drives and one external drive, drive C is a SSD which when i installed it 2 years ago it would boot from power off in less than 20 seconds now it can take over 2 minutes to boot that is if it stays off when i turn it off as most mornings when i get up it has started running on its own during the night.

if i cannot get to the cause of the problem i will strip the C drive and do a clean install which i do not want to do as i have many programs installed that i don't think i will manage to reinstall again as i think i have lost half of the disks now.

if you did find the problem i would be in your debt if you will let me know what the problem was.

regards Poppy Ann.

Sorry this didn't help.

a decent spec computer (I7-3820 CPU running at 4.0 GHz 16 GB ram) running win 8.1 and 3 internal hard drives and one external drive, drive C is a SSD which when i installed it 2 years ago it would boot from power off in less than 20 seconds now it can take over 2 minutes to boot that is if it stays off when i turn it off as most mornings when i get up it has started running on its own during the night.

Wow.  I guess we can rule out thrashing as an "old issue".   When I first read the OP I was reminded of the problems I used to have on XP with Windows Search on my 256 MB system.    Then whenever I wanted to get anything done I had to disable the wsearch service.   Stopping it was not enough.  It would only get itself started again somehow and then start thrashing again. 

How much do you have to index?  Perhaps if it tries to do too much in RAM it could still make itself thrash even in large memory systems?

BTW recently I saw a suggestion that for W8.1 for boot performance issues we should be using the new WPR (or WPRUI) from the WPT instead of the old xbootmgr.   Unfortunately I haven't yet found a description of someone actually solving a boot performance problem with the new tool.  You can find some using the old tool and perhaps find an analogy for it.  Here's the article which made me aware of this change:

http://windowswideopen.com/category/wpr/

(BING search for
   +WPR  xbootmgr
)

Just change the search to  +WPT xbootmgr  to get descriptions of using the old tool.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Robert,

thanks for your reply, I took a look at that site which took me to a couple of others and I have to admit I have no idea how but something I did managed to cure my problem, and yes I have a lot of storage one of my problems is I use a SSD for my boot drive and it is close to full I try and only allow programs to install to that drive but also I had a 1 TB drive which was close to full but I transferred everything onto my new 4 TB drive (it took just over 5 hrs) and I have removed the 1 TB drive and fitted it into my cctv system box so it now had a hard job as it has to run full time (I think) I have no idea how long it will take to fill it up but that is not a problem as it just overwrites itself when full.

reading your answer you sound like myself who has been around computers a while but every now and then we come across a fault we either have not had before or we forgot how to cure it.

I started out with a Acorn Atom which i built myself many years ago it had 2Kb of ram but close to 1 KB was used by the operating system and I managed to write a copy of the old space invader game complete with waving arms etc the only thing i could not manage was the bonus space ships which use to go across the top of the screen every now and then as i had squeezed the program down as far as i could i ended up writing it in machine code to get enough to memory to keep the score when you hit the invaders, i was very proud of managing to do it at the time but compared with computers now with TB hard drives and multi GB ram and video cards i think people have gone backwards it seams that the better the computer the slower it ends up running due to cr*p programing due to programmers now have never had to squeeze the last bit never mind Byte out of computers.

I think that there has only been 4 versions of Windows that were worth buying 1. Win 3.1, 2. Win XP and 3. win 7 the rest have not been worth running.

anyway again thanks for your help it looks like i went a bit of topic but never mind.

regards Poppy Ann.

Sorry this didn't help.

So I have spent the last 3 weeks since I got my shiny new Surface Pro 3 trying to solve this and following every link AND...

FIXED (I would ask that people from MS check this through but it worked for me.)

Detailed post of troubleshooting, cause and solution is at http://cloudyquestions.com/2014/08/23/microsoft-windows-search-filter-host-high-cpu-on-windows-8-fixed-look-at-your-pdf-ifilter/

Summary:

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks so much - Method 4 worked!  This has been driving me crazy for weeks and spent money and time trying to fix it.  I am copying and pasting your directions in case it happens again but so happy someone figured it out.  Thanks again  (and people are absolutely correct that Microsoft should be fixing it  - I tried the troubleshooting and result was to try the Action Center for other possible fixes - no help whatsoever). 

Sorry this didn't help.

In windows 7, just use Windows button and search for 'Indexing Options'. Now click on 'Modify' and uncheck the unwanted options e.g., outlook, any other disk drive, which you don't want to include in search options and close.

Now, the Searchprotocolhost will disappear. Enjoy...

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.