Partitioning Surface Pro 3

I have a new Surface Pro 3 with Win 8.1 and a 128 GB SSD - love it.  But it's all C:\, and I really want to partition it as C, D, E and F drives. However, Paragon's Partition Manager 14, which installed without difficulty, won't let that happen. No matter how I try it will not reduce the size of C:\ to make room for the three other partitions.

Is this a Win 8.1 restriction, or a specific Surface Pro 3 limitation? Or is it inherently not possible to partition an SSD (which I find hard to believe)?  Can someone identify a way to do the partitioning I desire without obliterating the Win 8.1 installation that came on the machine?

|
Answer
Answer

Hi Rabnud,

Disk Management is a built-in tool in Windows which enables the users to view and manage the installed drive in their computer and the partitions related with those drives. With the help of Disk Management, you can create partition, format partition, extend partition, shrink partition, delete partition, change drive letter. It nearly satisfies all the demands of the users and is convenient for the users, so it is widely used by the users.

Steps to Partition a hard drive with Windows 8/8.1 Disk Management tool:

1. Open Windows 8 or 8.1 Disk Management by pressing "Windows + R" and typing "diskmgmt.msc". In the pop-up window, right click on C drive and select "Shrink Volume".

2. In the pop-up window, enter the amount of space to shrink.

3. Click "Shrink" and we can preview an unallocated space behind C drive. Then, right click on it and select "New Simple Volume". Follow the on screen directions to complete the process.

Thank you.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Your comment was the solution to a week long intensive "bug hunt" thank you so much!

1. I downloaded PerfectDisk Professional Trial
  2. hit the down-arrow below the start button
  3. selected "prepare for shrinking"
  4. Happiness!

I just made an account to express my gratitude.

Thank you!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2021 Views 20,681 Applies to: