My Epson WF-4630 Pro printer LED screen error code 0x97 & hsrd.yahoo.com virus

My printer started having problems only printing top 1/3 of sheet. Message was:  error 0x97.   LED screen on printer said to turn the the printer on and off - which I did several times using both the on/off switch and unplugging the machine.  Doing this not only did not resolve the problem but now it won't print at all.

This problem began a few days after the hsrd.yahoo.com virus infected my computer.  I put in a trial version of Kaspersky Small Office software and it did only a partial fix.  The problem with the websites never finishing loading and extremely slow startup when computer is turned on still exist.  This virus which has been around since 2013 is nefarious because it bypasses security software.

Has anyone got a solution to either problem.  My $250 printer was 10 days out of warranty so I now have a $250 doorstop if I can't resolve the problems.

Thank you in advance for reading this and helping with my crisis...

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response from our end.

You may follow the steps mentioned in the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/printer-problems-in-windows-help#fix-printer-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

I would suggest you to run the Microsoft Safety Scanner to make sure that the computer is free from virus.

Microsoft Safety Scanner: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx 

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Thanks,
Yaqub Khan

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I would suggest you to run the Microsoft Safety Scanner to make sure that the computer is free from virus.

Microsoft Safety Scanner: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx 

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

I accidentally clicked helpful and unlike Facebook, it won't allow me to un-click it... The link to the free scanner went to some unsecure site that during the download, my Microsoft Defender interrupted saying that is was a virus... So I don't know what kinda help it would be to add a virus to my laptop when my printer is already malfunctioning. NOT helpful and it took what felt like forever for Microsoft to even allow me to log in............ -.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just spoke with Epson technical support about the error 0x97 for my WF3620 printer. We went through all the sequences to try and repair the problem. Nothing worked so they determined it was a hardware problem. Since it was a hardware problem they replaced my printer for free. My printer was 8 months old at the time so I was surprised warranty covered it. 

640 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, just so everyone knows, updating the driver and firmware will not fix the issue.

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Everyone,

So what does work? Besides getting a whole new printer?

82 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here... printer is 1 year 7 months old... out of warranty... tech support said it is a hardware issue and itʻs pretty much dead... out of warranty dept will call me tomorrow but donʻt think they will be able to do much, if anything... I do like this printer and will buy another... it gets a lot of use in our household.  They just donʻt make them to last very long...

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Welp. It happened to me today.  I bought the printer July 3, 2016 at OfficeDepot and paid $217.99 and today it totally died.  I found all of these comments here on this site and just about cried.  This printer gave absolutely NO WARNING that it was going to expire so suddenly.  It worked great... until it was dead.  I put it back in original box and with receipt and went to OD.  They wouldn't refund (out of the 14 day refund period... and "Did you buy an extended warranty?" NO...) and the kid working in the printer section says, "Yeah, I hear that a lot about epsons." Thanks cuz the kid there on July 3 said they were the best thing EVER.  So.  Hmmm.  The manager DID exchange the printer and made me buy the $35.99 extended warranty.  She STRONGLY URGED me to get it... wouldn't refund the money otherwise.  I mean, I'm lucky she did that, I guess.  BUT i'll never buy anything there again, thanks.  ... except a new printer if this one dies too... with the warranty I had to buy!!!  Good part is that I get all new ink again (I'd just bought $130 worth of replacement ink for this printer!!! from Amazon so I kinda had to buy this one again.) So, Epson, FIX YOUR ISH!  This is crazy.  Oh, and the printer is now on sale for $149.  NO she wouldn't honor that price... just give me the exchange and charge me $35.99 for the printer warranty.  Jeez.

I LOVE the printer though.  It's fast.  It's prints great.  I like the copy.  I like everything except that it DIES.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My printer started having problems only printing top 1/3 of sheet. Message was:  error 0x97.   LED screen on printer said to turn the the printer on and off - which I did several times using both the on/off switch and unplugging the machine.  Doing this not only did not resolve the problem but now it won't print at all.

This problem began a few days after the hsrd.yahoo.com virus infected my computer.  I put in a trial version of Kaspersky Small Office software and it did only a partial fix.  The problem with the websites never finishing loading and extremely slow startup when computer is turned on still exist.  This virus which has been around since 2013 is nefarious because it bypasses security software.

Has anyone got a solution to either problem.  My $250 printer was 10 days out of warranty so I now have a $250 doorstop if I can't resolve the problems.

Thank you in advance for reading this and helping with my crisis...

I took my printer back to office depot, where I bought it, and they exchanged it for a new one with no fee.  I did buy the extended warranty.  But I was happy.  So far so good.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't mention that I don't use windows.  I use Mac.  I don't think my printer got any virus but I don't know.  I have everything pretty locked down.  I haven't "trusted" any internet software so I don't know where I would have gotten a virus.  I just am not sure.  I believe it's a hardware problem associated with the motherboard.  I'm just glad to have a new printer!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a little FYI for next time.  Epson gives you a year warranty on the printer.  If you call them and your printer is still under warranty, they'll send you a Replacement and you should have it within 2-3 days.  I've used this option many times!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2021 Views 91,593 Applies to: