Keyboard error in BIOS POST after upgrading to Windows 8.1

I have an HP ENVY 700-074 Desktop.  Factory installed with Windows 8 and ran Windows 8 perfectly with no issues.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 I now experience a keyboard error message in BIOS during POST.  Keyboard works fine, accepts input both in BIOS and Windows, but inexplicably errors during POST.

Prior to upgrading I installed all HP and Microsoft recommended updates and ran both the HP and Windows comparability software assistants.

Other than the keyboard error during POST there appear to be no other problems.  I reached out to HP technical support and they have no solutions to offer.  They asked me to send the computer in for service which I'd prefer not to do.  Considering they have no idea what the issue is I have no confidence they'd be able to correct it.

Does anyone have any ideas why I am getting a POST keyboard error?  Is this a hardware or software issue?  Again everything works fine.  Just getting an error in POST which I did not have prior to 8.1.  Really the only reason I'm asking is because I am worried that there is an underlying hardware issue that the 8.1 upgrade revealed. 

Things I have already tried:
Uninstalled and reinstalled Windows 8.1
Complete factory restore
Deleted and re-installed keyboard drivers
Reset BIOS/CMOS
Enabled/Disabled Secure Boot and Legacy Support
Reseated RAM and checked all power supply connections.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2019 Views 1,172 Applies to:

Hi,

1. What is the make and model of the keyboard?

2. What is the complete error message you are receiving?

3. When you say reinstalled the keyboard drivers, did you try to reinstall the Windows 8.1 drivers for the Keyboard from the manufacturer?

4. Do you have any options in BIOS setting s to enable/disable the Keyboard?

The issue may occur if the keyboard drivers are not installed correctly or the keyboard is not fully compatible with Windows 8.1.

Let’s try the following steps and check.

Method 1:

Step 1:

You may try connecting a different keyboard and check.

Step 2:

You may try running the Hardware and Device troubleshooter and check.

a. Press Windows Key + R, type Control Panel.
b. Type troubleshooting in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.
c. Click on Hardware and Sound, click on Hardware and Devices.
d. Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter

Step 3:

BIOS can have various settings to enable / disable USB keyboard / mouse access. You may also check in BIOS settings for an option to enable the keyboard.

Important: Modifying BIOS (Basic input output system)/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Method 2:

Step 1:

You may try running the Windows Updates and install all the available updates including the optional driver and firmware updates.

Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions

Step 2:

You may also refer to HP support website and try installing Windows 8.1 version of chipset drivers and check.

Also, if you haven’t tried installing the Windows 8.1 version of Keyboard driver from the device manufacturer website, then try installing Windows 8.1 version of Keyboard drivers and check.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.